Yellow paint is brighter than I thought!

Old 05-03-02, 07:31 AM
jenn_6
Visiting Guest
Yellow paint is brighter than I thought!

I bought a mixed yellow latex satin interior wall paint.I am painting over an off white color on sheetrock in my living/dining room.it is an open room and kind of small.I was trying for a soft,light,warm yellow.I thought that was what I had but after painting the dining room I have found out that it is too bright.
I was wondering what the best way to lighten it up would be?Maybe go over it with a glaze so that the yellow will still show but not so bright.If so,what kind and what would be the best color?
Or should I mix in some white and paint over it?
I would really love the look of a glaze or a rag or cloudy effect.Know what I mean?
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
I was so disappointed that it came out that way I need some creative minds
Thank so very much.
Jenn

PS...I forgot to add that I have a dark brown leather couch,black leather recliner,and dark cherry finish entertainment center.beige carpet (ick) and light wood trim (we got the enter. center really cheap).Thanks.

Last edited by jenn_6; 05-03-02 at 07:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-02, 04:06 PM
jenn_6
Visiting Guest
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Jenn

Old 05-07-02, 11:40 AM
jenn_6
Visiting Guest
*bump*
Anyone?

Old 05-08-02, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you have several options...

You have several options and the final results will be just fine. Only you can decide if you like it.

Any faux painting technique will work - sponge, rag, dry brush, wash, etc. A glaze may be too shiny for your tastes. A satin latex would work ok. Color - go with a very pale yellow. You won't need much paint for this. A quart would be plenty for a small room.

Just adding some white to the yellow won't do it. You have to add the yellow tyo the white. If you choose this route just add a bit of the yellow to the white. Start with just a little yellow and add a little at a time TO the white until you get the shade you want. It won't take much of the yellow tint to change the white. It will take a lot of white to soften the yellow.

And don't be afraid - anything you do will turn out just fine. Have fun.

Old 05-08-02, 06:13 AM
jenn_6
Visiting Guest
Thanks alot
I haven't ever taken on such a big job with faux finishes before.To be honest,I am a little skittish!
Thanks again,
jenn

Old 05-09-02, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if you don't like it....

If you don't like the look, you can always repaint. But I've found that most of the time it turns out just fine.

Just go for it.

Old 05-09-02, 08:33 AM
jenn_6
Visiting Guest
That's very true
I am glad that you h=gave me the tip about mixing the yellow into the white.I would have done it the other way around!
Have a great day.
Jenn