Painting over paneling

Old 05-08-02, 09:14 AM
Beaswrld
Visiting Guest
Question Painting over paneling

I want to paint over 1956 paneling that has never been painted.
Can someone please help me? DO I have to primer and spackle all the lines in it first, or can I just paint over it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-02, 02:51 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
You 'can' spackle the seams if you feel the burning desire to, sure. Lottsa work though. Give it a good wash with TSP (trisodiumphosphate) first, rinse and let dry. Prime with an oil, or use a quality acrylic, super adherent primer like Bullseye 1-2-3, Moore's Fresh Start or Insl-X Aqua Lock, (primer will give the paint something to bite to, and, hide the dark old color) then paint.

Old 05-09-02, 09:32 AM
Beaswrld
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Wow, now that does sound a little easier than spackling all those lines in the paneling. So, I need to find an oil base primer first then paint? I am trying to remodel an old, structally sound house.
Mostly all painting and TLC, but I have no experience in any of this so you will see me a lot on here for advice... Again, Thanks

Old 05-09-02, 11:37 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
You're welcome, and by all means, keep coming back. You can use an oil primer but it might be easier on you if you buy the Bullseye1-2-3 or Benjamin Moore Fresh Start. They are water based and stick like crazy to panelling, old oil paints, varnish, tile, plastic and such. Allow 24 hours for the primer to cure before painting it. Take care,

Keith