oil primer, latex paint?

Old 05-08-02, 04:19 PM
linie
Visiting Guest
Question oil primer, latex paint?

Hello there,

I am restoring our 1920's exterior window trim (it's peeling and letting in water).

One question: can I use an oil-based Primer and put a Latex exterior paint over top? Is this good?

The glazing compound I have suggested Oil-based primer, and I really like to work with latex....

help!
Linie

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-02, 05:21 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
The best application to keep the weather out of your wood is an oil primer, preferably a true linseed-based product such as Moore's 100-00 which will penetrate far better than any others in my experience, then topcoated wiht an acrylic such as their Moorglow or Moorguard...oils adhere to bare wood far better than acrylics will. An oil primer will almost always accept a latex as a topcoat. Not to worry in this application.

Old 05-08-02, 08:39 PM
gregory001
Visiting Guest
I agree with Keith in this situation where the acrylic goes over an oil base undercoat.
However I do feel the external 100% acrylics on the market today stick to bare timber very well and we actually use these as a primer for bare timber rather than the oil based undercoat/primers.We then place an oil based undercoat over the acrylic and finish it off with a top coat of oil based gloss enamel.The reason we use an oil based top coat on windows is because of a problem called coheason, where the acrylics tend to stick togeather and windows can be impossible to open,while the oils dries harder and they dont have that problem.

Have fun