Painting a bathroom

Old 05-10-02, 03:22 PM
kmgrapp
Visiting Guest
Question Painting a bathroom

Help! I had my ceiling replastered over the bathtub due to a leak from the condo owner above me. I painted the ceiling with a waterproof primer (not Kilz, but a brand like it). Then I used an latex paint over that and on the walls (I did not prime the walls). 6 months later my ceiling is peeling above the bathtub (I think due to moisture from the shower). I've been told I should have used an oil based paint and not latex.

My question is: What do I do now to fix the mistake? I've also decided I don't like the color of the entire bathroom and plan to paint the ceiling and the walls a new color. Should I prime the ceiling and the walls too? What kind of paint should I use on the entire room?

Also, does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to hire someone to paint the bathroom for me?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-02, 03:33 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
strip the paint

and start over. Sand well before you prime with a least a 300 grit sandpaper. I've had great luck with melamine kitchen and bath paint which can be purchased at sears, usually on sale 50% off.

You also may want to get a more powerful fan. Just redid my bathroom which is 5x11. Installed a 100cfm Nutone and I can take a 20minute scalding hot shower with no steam / condensation issues.

good luck!

Old 05-10-02, 03:55 PM
kmgrapp
Visiting Guest
Stripping the paint

This may be another dumb question, but how do I strip the paint without damaging the plastering or the walls? Or do I just scrape off the peeling parts, sand and repaint?

Thanks.

Old 05-10-02, 05:12 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
it depends...

how much of a mess you're left with after scraping (perferably with a wide putty knife).

Paint is incredibly difficult and messy to sand as far as removal goes. I would use drywall compound to fill in uneven areas and then sand to a level surface.

If you just scrape and scuff the remaining paint that didn't come off, you'll be left with something less than appealing to look at.