Preparing & Protecting Clear Cedar Siding

Old 05-10-02, 06:35 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Preparing & Protecting Clear Cedar Siding

I have clear cedar tongue & groove vertical siding that is 15 years old. I've washed and used Thompsons Wood Protector every 2 to 3 years. I've used clorox and soap with a soft brush to wash it and now some of the soft wood grain has been removed giving the siding a rough texture. I would like to sand it (How?) and use a clear finish that would last a few years (Which one?). The area is 30' X 10'. Thanks for your help.....JOHN

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-02, 04:31 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Someone else may answer the 'how' to sand...but I never recommend Thompson's, ever. It's too waxy and will not easily accept other products (which are better for your home). In my experience, it is a waste of money, but more importantly, your time. A quality sealer such as Para 'Raincoat' is what I have used, and would recommend to anyone.

Old 05-11-02, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
John,
I agree with Keith, Thompsons is parrafin based and a waste.
The best cleaner/brightener for cedar is an oxalic acid wash.
Your cedar can be sanded smooth with about 150 grit paper - a random orbit sander will work, but take some time for your area.

Keith - I haven't heard of the para raincoat. Is it available here in States by another name??

fred

Old 05-11-02, 08:34 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Fred...here's the Para dealer locator , including the U.S:

http://www.para.com/en/main.html

Keith

Old 05-12-02, 09:07 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Keith & Fred....Thank you both for your help. It took me a few years to find out on my own that Thompsons was a waste of time and money. Since there is only 1 dealer in New York for Para "Raincoat" would you guys recommend something else? Where would I get Oxalic acid wash and how should I use it?

Old 05-12-02, 09:20 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Moores make a similar product (88-10) as do most reputable paint companies. Tell them you want a linseed-based penetrating sealer with UV protection, with low sheen (higher sheen equals more flaking and peeling).

Old 05-12-02, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
John,
Flood or Olympic makes a deck wash with oxalic, just check the main ingredients and make sure you don't get the hypochlorite.
You can put it on with a mop and follow the directions.
Wolmans F&P makes a natural oil-base protectant, although with less tone you get less uv protection. It's the color in the cedar and redwood stain with has the most oxide uv protecting particles.
fred