Cutting In When Painting

Old 05-08-02, 08:29 PM
jpsolo
Visiting Guest
Cutting In When Painting

I am helping my daughter paint the inside of her new (used) house. She selected flat latex wall paint and semi-gloss latex enamel trim paint that are significantly different colors. This makes it much more critical to try and maintain a "straight" line where the two colors meet at door molding, baseboards, etc. I've tried freehand, painting shields, masking tape and nothing consistently works very well. The tape is pretty good but invariably a certain amount of paint "leaks" under it in a few spots making it look bad. Can an expert painter give me some advice about equipment or techniques to get the best job? - Thanks, Jerry

Old 05-09-02, 04:31 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can an expert painter give me some advice about equipment or techniques to get the best job?
Cutting in well takes years of practice to perfect...thats why tradesmen do it best. Unfortunatley there are no short cuts that work..."consitantly".
I saw a small roller on a shopping channel the other day that has been designed to cut in that seemed to work quite well but Im not sure where else you could purchase one..Try www.qvc.com .

Old 05-11-02, 05:55 AM
bit_twiddler
Visiting Guest
I have to agree with toptosher. The best lines come from free-handing it, as far as I'm concerned. And the more you do it, the better you do it.

If you are using latex, keep a moist cloth or sponge with you. Then if your line strays out of place, you can usually wipe away the incursion. If you're really more comfortable with masking tape, then try removing a line of tape immediately after you paint it, so you can wipe off the incursions while they are still wet.

good luck,
-bit

Old 05-13-02, 04:45 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
use good brushes..

Here are five tips to neater cutting in:

1. Use a top quality brush. Yes, there is a difference in quality between the price points of brushes. You do get what you pay for. Buy a top-of-the-line 2" or 2-1/2" brush made for the type of paint you are using.

2. Paint with the tips of the brush. Too many people apply too much pressure or too much angle and end up painting with the sides of the brush.

3. Pour the paint into a paint pail. Do not use the paint can. Using the paint can will cause some bristles to flay out.

4. Remove the excess paint before getting close to the trim work. Tap the brush against the inside of the pail. Then do a short stroke (couple of inches) near the trim work.

5. Paint a little quicker. Going slowly increases the mess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: