Need Exterior Prep Painting advice

Old 05-13-02, 06:05 PM
Yogi
Visiting Guest
Need Exterior Prep Painting advice

Painting
I have a house eight years old and want to paint it. The conflict that I have is whether it really needs to be power washed. The original stain on mostly rough sawn wood looks for the most part great and intact of about 98% of the surface area. There are a couple of areas where the wood is rotting; one is on a window sill and I have no solution for that item and the other is at the base of a column. All the window sills and window trim seems to be peeling.

I had some painting contractors look at it and only one said he had a lot of prep work. But of course he was more than twice the price than the cheapest contractor. All three contractors claim they would use Sherwin-Williams Duration paint and the other two would only scrape and prep the peeling paint. However, I took a visit to a S-W paint store and the rep said that power washing is the way to because it will loosen any wood fibers and loose stain along with it. But upon close inspection I believe that most of the wood and original stain is intact. To further confuse the issue, the local mass media home improvement gurus say that one should NEVER power wash wood siding because it both damages the wood fibers and it would take a considerable amount of time to dry.

Question: Should the wood be power washed?

Old 05-14-02, 06:58 PM
Senna
Visiting Guest
Yogi, I am in the process of painting my house and like you I wasn't sure about pressure washing it. Well I decided to go ahead and do it and I'm glad I did. It is a lot of extra work but I think it was well worth it. It did get a lot of loose chips off that I didnt think were even there. Make sure to sand where the old paint has flaked away. Good luck!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: