Painting wood

Old 11-25-01, 05:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Basement Flooring

We have just had a house built in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. There is an unfinished basement with the worst scree and finished concrete I have ever seen. I want to finish the basement probably early next spring after I see how it does with water from the winter. My big question is; what should I use on the floor? (1) to level it and prepare it for wall to wall carpet. (2)Is wood okay? I would have to fur it and shim it to get it level. (3) should I use some type of concrete finish to level it? If so some areas would be close to 1-1/2 - 2 inches (bad floor), and others 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.

I may have enough ceiling height to use 2X2" for flooring, will this give me solid support?

I'm open to any suggestions here as I have not been able to find a decent book describing floor preparation.

Thanks

Wewalt

Old 05-13-02, 06:23 PM
klutzykate
Visiting Guest
Painting wood

I have several different wood stains on the 5 peices of furniture in my bedroom. I would like to paint the wood all the same color so everything matches. None of the wood is solid (I believe that it's all made of some type of particle board). In order to successfully paint the pieces, do I need to prime the wood before painting? And what kind of paint will work best on this type of wood? (FYI- the bookshelf and desk are the cheapish versions available at WalMart, the dressers are from IKEA, and the bed is just plain wood with a dark stain). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: