What Kind Of Paint Is On Wall Now?

Old 05-13-02, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What Kind Of Paint Is On Wall Now?

I am getting ready to paint my kitchen a "candy apple" red color in the home I just moved into. How can I tell what kind of paint is already on the walls and also how can I tell if it is oil or latex?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-02, 02:08 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
The test for latex is to dampen a piece of rag with nail polish remover, rub the wall and if the color is transferred to the rag, it's latex. More importantly here is your choice of color. This requires specific preparation before you paint. Regardless of what is on there now, the primers you can use will adhere to whatever is there anyway, so forget the test here. Wash the walls with TSP, rinse and let dry. Choose a primer such as 'Aqua Lock' by Insl-X, Bullseye 1-2-3 by 'Zinsser, Fresh Start by 'Moores', Problem Solver by 'CIL' or any quality oil-based primer. Have the paint store (don't go to a big box store, use a paint dealer) tint your primer a medium gray (about 2-4 ounces of black colorant per gallon). This dead tone under your red will reduce the number of coats of paint you'd use. Prime the walls and leave 24 hours. Apply 2-3 thin coats of red, a coat per day...don't rush it. Then you'll achieve the depth of color you're looking for. Be sure to ask about these points before you buy your paint. Have the dealer explain it further if need be. Do not use a tinted 'red' primer. Gray is what works.

Keith