Paint - Sipersteins vs. Benjamin Moore

Old 05-14-02, 04:24 PM
ptplgamer
Visiting Guest
Paint - Sipersteins vs. Benjamin Moore

I'm having the exterior of my home painted. The painting contractor wants to use Sipersteins masonry paint and Sipersteins tinted primer. He'll then use Benjamin Moore paint for the topcoat. I had wanted to use Benjamin Moore paint on everything. Anybody have any opinions on which is the better brand paint to use? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-02, 02:25 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Never heard of Siperstein. Not enough information on your job. What surfaces are to be painted? What is the substrate? Existing paint? Bare masonry? What colors are you using? Why the tinted primer? Two save on paint or provide a base for a dark color?

I always recommend Moore's products. Only a few products where others are superior in my experience. Moore's has an excellent linseed oil-based paint (110-00) and a very good linseed primer (100-00). Fresh Start acrylic primer can be used on almost any substrate. Their latex topcoats are excellent (103-00, 96-00). The best exterior deep tint primer I know of is Bullseye 1-2-3 deep tint. Excellent acrylic product. Sticks like crazy. I'll watch for your reply before going further.

Keith

Old 05-15-02, 04:26 PM
ptplgamer
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. Here's some more specifics on the job. My house is a standard bi'level with asbestos shingles. The shingles are currently painted a medium green and the new color is to be a medium yellow - I think "morning sunshine" is the actual Benjamin Moore color I'm switching to. The painter wants to go with a tinted primer because of the difficulty of going from a green to yellow. The Siperstein's masonry paint is to be used to paint the masonry along the bottom of the house as well as the chimney. Those areas are currently white but there is a lot of mildew since I live fairly close to the ocean.

Old 05-15-02, 04:44 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
You're welcome...Wash the masonry with TSP and a scrub brush...it will get rid of the surface mildew...allow to dry really well, then think about this product, it's very good...

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=33

As for the shingles and the previous paint, two coats of Moore's would likely do the job. But if you agree with the painter (as I cannot see the old color, but even if you went with HC-4, a primer would not be necessary...take a look at that chip for comparison) ), and you tint a primer, use a very light gray...it is best under yellows...do not tint the primer yellow, it will only add to the problem...sometimes, sometimes...........a painter will want to tint a prime coat to save on topcoat (cheaper, less time)...not saying this is the case but unless you're using a sunflower yellow, a light gray and TWO topcoats (for durability, color-fastness and depth of color) are sufficient. Primers WILL however, make the job look nicer, increase the coverage of your paint, better your sheen level and hide any stains from nails, mildew etc, provided the correct primer is used, and two topcoats are applied...I'm not against priming here, but when it may not be necessary, I inform the client and allow them to decide.

Keith

Old 05-15-02, 05:34 PM
ptplgamer
Visiting Guest
Thanks again. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Old 05-17-02, 06:25 AM
cecgiv
Visiting Guest
KeithP gives pretty good advice generally. However, being from Canada, he isn't always familiar with products manufactured in the US. Siperstein's is a manufacturer of paint in New Jersey that operates about 20 stores. They have been in business a long time and probably make a good product. My point is that some folks giving advice don't have always have knowledge of products other than those marketed in their locality or the nationally distributed products. There are alot of excellent regional paints, stains, and primers. A coating will perform differently in Atlanta than it will in Toronto, different in Boston than in Los Angeles, etc. You have to take the location of the job into the equation as well as a number of other factors when giving sound advice. I don't always see that happening here.