painting

Old 05-15-02, 10:29 AM
bmjj
Visiting Guest
painting

I am having a heck of a time, I painted 3 stories of a 4 level split with BEHR eggshell paint and they have found the paint to be defective. It is peeling off the wall and burmishing. I have skim coated the patches and then with the advice of BEHR painted again with a satin enamel paint. I hated it way to shiny. They have advised me to paint again but to use a primer coat on the heavy traffic areas. My question is, how do I ensure that my patches will not show through the final coat, as was the case with the satin enamel? Afraid to paint AGAIN!!!!

Old 05-15-02, 03:16 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
If you spot prime, then prime the entire surface, the 'flashing' of sheen will be gone. The porosity of the primed patches is different from the surrounding painted wall, hence the flash. The whole job should be primed...use a quality primer unless they're giving you the product to solve the complaint. I'd use acrylic, such as Moore's Fresh Start, or Bullseye 1-2-3...then two topcoats of eggshell enamel (scrubbable finish). Perhaps a slightly higher pearl sheen for high traffic areas if you wish.

Old 05-15-02, 03:40 PM
bmjj
Visiting Guest
To Keith P.

Thanks for the advice!

bmjj

Old 05-15-02, 04:19 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Anytime...that's what we're here for.
Hope you get your problem solved soon.

Old 05-16-02, 10:10 AM
bmjj
Visiting Guest
Hey Keith,

I started sanding down the spots I have already patched and while sanding new spots of peeling paint are appearing. Do all of these spots also need patching, sanding and then priming. Also the corners are all peeling off as well so do they also need the same type of treatment!

I must keep saying to myself, I love to paint, I love to paint.

Are you a paint expert or just a lay person like me?

Appreciate your advice. bmjj

Old 05-16-02, 10:33 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
That's the only way to do it right now...sand the lot, everything. You want to encourage anything else that is liable to fail in month's time, to come off now. Rinse all that dust off, re-prime and then paint. Sounds like a nightmare man, so go at it a step at a time...be thorough. This prep you're doing now is crucial, less it fails again on you. No more skim coats, patches or anything until you've sanded the entire place. If some paint still remains, leave it, it'll be fine after you repaint.

Old 05-16-02, 11:09 AM
bmjj
Visiting Guest
Keith P,

Thanks again, you are right about that being a nightmare. When I started this project back in Feb. I figured I would have my house back by now. I have to agree that this is a very crucial stage. Sand, Sand and more sand is definetly what I believe is the answer. Oh well it will now wait til after the long weekend. I have all the answers I need now I just have to get at it.

Thank

Old 05-16-02, 11:48 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Yer welcum

Old 05-30-02, 01:13 PM
bmjj
Visiting Guest
Painting again. . .

Hey Keith,
Have a question for you, I have gotten BEHR primer to use on my walls. I'm a little afraid but home depot says its the best. As far as prep. work goes, I am using a pole sander and sanding the walls smooth. I have patched as many spots as I can see and have also sanded them smooth, but as I'm sanding the walls other spots are peeling - do these spots need to be patched with filler and then sanded smooth or just sanded to get the loose stuff off? I plan on priming the entire house before selecting a ralph lauren paint - apparently this paint is one of the higher end. I will continue sanding and await your reply. I figure I have done enough procrastinating - I just want the project done so I can move on.

Thanks for your help.

bmjj

Old 05-30-02, 02:10 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Is this new coat of paint (that is 'defective' as they told you, and that you're currently sanding right now) peeling down to the old previous coat of paint? It almost sounds like a latex over oil story...latex will let go of the old oil coating and can be peeled off like a thin skin using your fingernail. Test the old paint for me. Rub with nail polish remover and tell me if the old color was tranferred to the rag when rubbed. If so, it's latex, if not, it's oil. As for Behr, it's not at the top, or the bottom. Middle of the road. One of the more common paint-complaints (as opposed to application problems) we tackle at the store has to do with 'Ralph Lauren'. He makes underwear, not paint, it's just a label. Nothing more. Very overpriced and over rated in my opinion. At any rate, if the old paint is latex, keep sanding and remove what will come off, wash and let dry before priming. If oil, you need to do the same, but use 1-2-3, Fresh Start or Aqua Lock-type primers first before painting.

Old 05-30-02, 02:14 PM
bmjj
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Keith!

Old 05-30-02, 02:47 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
No problem, just let me know whether it was latex or oil please. Thanks.

Old 05-30-02, 02:53 PM
bmjj
Visiting Guest
The primer is a latex base. I hope that will be alright as that is what they gave me. Let me know what you're thinking?

Old 05-30-02, 03:14 PM
bmjj
Visiting Guest
I did like you said and yes the old paint does come off onto the rag, and to confirm for myself the paint I used does to. (I am a visual learner!) My plan for this was to use the pole sander and sand the walls smooth, spot patch the spots that are peeling off, sand the new spots and then prime. I purchased all this paint at Home Depot, they are who recommended the BEHR paint in the first place. When I first painted the house it was great, then some finger prints (from kids) appeared, I left them and I tried to wash them away (using only warm water) approx. 1 1/2 months after I painted and thats when I realized that you could see the wash lines after I was done and they never went away. On one particular spot the spot didn't go away so I used soap & water and thats when it started to peel away. I called Home Depot who referred me to BEHR, they said it was defective paint and that they would refund me for the paint and supply the new paint (Satin Enamel) for the job, I just needed to skin coat patch & prime and then paint with the new paint. When I used the new paint I totally hated the sheen, plus you could still see the patching underneath. The manager at Home Depot came and looked and he didn't like it either and he has offered to pay for the supplies I need, primer and a new batch of paint (Ralph Lauren), according to him - its the best paint they carry. Ralph would only put his name on the best and yes I agree the paint itself is too expensive but, they're paying. I am just wanting to have my house back. I am assuming that the paint is a latex base and that the primer I have it okay. I guess I am worried that some of these spots will show through but I guess I'll be able to see that once the primer is on. If they do show through I was planning on spot patching again and re-priming and sanding. I have been at this since February and really would just like to have it finished. It has taken me this long to want to get going again - Its was a big job to start and has just gotten bigger. Anyways let me know what you think of this, as for the Ralph Lauren I have never used his product and since Home Depot is paying for it I guess I'll use it. I do know that should it be awful when I'm finished I will cry. Thanks for your advise

Barb

Old 05-30-02, 03:17 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Sounds ok Barb...so after all your prep, fill and spot prime the patches, then prime the entire job and you won't see the patches. You're on the right track. Keep us posted!

Old 06-01-02, 01:52 PM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
sounds like bmjj had some of this failure taking place...

discovery
www.sonnielayne.com/images/wallpaintfailing1.jpg

begin work
www.sonnielayne.com/images/wallpaintfailing2.jpg

one hour later
www.sonnielayne.com/images/wallpaintfailing3.jpg

next day
www.sonnielayne.com/images/wallpaintfailing4.jpg

sometimes it's just easier to get after it with a sharp wall scraper and then texture, prime and paint.

Old 06-17-02, 03:14 PM
bjmm
Visiting Guest
Paint/Tape Nightmare

Hello anyone,

You know I have been painting a long time and never have I had so much trouble. I use masking tape all the time to tape around areas that are difficult (like around oak door jams, around oak railings), anyways when I remove the tape I usually have no problems. For my painting nightmare I have decided to use the green masking tape so that I will have no problems, well guess what. I paint, then go to pull the tape off before it sets onto my oak and guess what, not only does it pull off the primer it also pulls off the prior layer of paint. Now I'm not sure if this is a problem but I don't know what to do now. Your advise would be beneficial to me.

Thank you

Barb

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: