Hiring A Painter

Old 05-17-02, 05:42 PM
ronash
Visiting Guest
Question Hiring A Painter

I am looking to hire a painter to paint several rooms in my house. One off the rooms will require them to paint 20ft high areas. The house is in Ohio. I asked them about insurance and most of them only had workers comp. Do they need to have any other form of insurance? I am concerned because they will be working in serveral hard to reach areas. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-02, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've always been told that they also need to have liability insurance.

It probably won't happen - but what if they burn down your house, or the scaffolding falls over and goes through a window while they're painting? A long shot, but if it happens - they (and you) will want the insurance to cover it.

Old 05-18-02, 06:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: ronash

Each state has some form of minimun insurance requirements contractors must carry. Laws vary from state to state.

Workers comp only covers them and does not cover damages to your property. Which may be all that is required in your state.

To inquire further on what insurance contractors must carry, contact your local government contractors licensing board.

Also contact your homeowners insurance company and read your homeowners policy.

Another thought would be to ask this question on our legal forum web site at: http://forum.freeadvice.com/

Regards & Good Luck,
Forum Host & Moderator.

Old 05-18-02, 07:54 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Make Sure They Have Insurance!!!

Hello ronash, don't let them set foot on the property without workmans comp. If they were to get hurt working for you it will be you and/or your homeowners insurance paying their medical and if you are found to be at fault possibly even providing income for the painter for a period of time. Scary huh. On the liability side if you sustain a loss that you and the painter can't cover your insurance should pick up the tab (check your policy as Tom suggests) but they will sue the painter and raise rates or drop you if you have a few claims. Don't try to dodge the insurance bullet on this! Wild things can happen and it will be the last thing you could imagine happening. Once knew of a situation where a painter left some tools in a corner on a drop cloth when finished for the day. A three year old took the hammer and beat up a few things in the house causing a few thousand in damages. What you get with that is insurance companies all pointing to the other guy but if the contractor has workmans comp/general liability at least its insurance against insurance and you should be clear. Also, remember the crews with full coverage will be 20-25% more than those without......Mike