HELP!!! Painting stained wood kitchen areas ASAP

Old 05-21-02, 04:48 PM
Chandler
Visiting Guest
Unhappy HELP!!! Painting stained wood kitchen areas ASAP

My friend and I are repainting his kitchen -cabinets, doors, etc. The problem is that the wood is stained with a really old stain. I need to know what to do for prep work before painting the cabinets, doors, and drawers that are stained. I'm pretty clueless here....

Do I need to first remove the stain, or can I just use primer? If I need to remove the stain- how do I do that? What materials do I need?
Basically, any and all information you could give me pertaining to how to do this would be of great help since we want to do it this upcoming weekend. THANKS!!!
~Matt

E-Mail me, please with any advice, help, hints, or tips at:
PatchNMatt@aol.com

Old 05-22-02, 05:14 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
You are going to want to use a good primer, and then you should be good to go!!

You could sand the cabinets well first, but I think that will not be needed if you go with the primer...

We have never had an issue with just painting over!

Good luck

Old 05-23-02, 04:16 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
clean, prime, and paint

You will not be able to remove the stain without a lot of extra work. Stain is absorbed deep into the fibers of the wood.

There is no need to remove the stain.
First clean the cabs real well. You'd be suprised at how much grease/grime is generated just by normal cooking.

If there is a shine then use a deglosser or liquid sandpaper. This will remove any varnish/polyurethane.

Then lightly sand with 220 grit. Wipe off the dust.
Prime with a quality stain blocking primer. Kilz and Zinsser's BIN are good ones.
Lightly sand again with the 220 grit sandpaper. Wipe off the dust and paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: