painted paneling

Old 05-23-02, 11:51 AM
vvv
Visiting Guest
Question painted paneling

My bathroom is done in a panel type material, at least i believe its paneling. Its white with gold flexes all over it, and was used alot in bathrooms, maybe during the 70"s, I'm not sure. I don't want to take it down, I would like to paint over it. Any suggestion?

Old 05-24-02, 03:46 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Painting paneling

I once moved into a home that had the same type of paneling. I thoroughly cleaned the walls, primed with a latex primer, and painted with latex semi-gloss paint. It transformed the bathroom.

Old 05-24-02, 04:09 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
I'd add that a either a sanding of the existing glossy surface be done or a simple prime-coat (such as Bullseye 1-2-3, Fresh Start or Aqualock) with a super-adherant primer be done first so the paint doesn't fail from the non-porous veneer surface. Allow 24 hours between primer and topcoat.

Keith

Old 05-24-02, 05:08 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Painting paneling

I thought about adding the info about sanding the surface to give it "tooth." I was, however, in a hurry and did not. It turned out fine. Scarring the surface is highly recommended.

Old 05-28-02, 02:13 PM
brewhill
Visiting Guest
Painting paneling

I had something similar in my bathroom. I cleaned the walls then used a mildew proof primer/paint. Put a primer coat then a finish coat and it looks a lot better. Only problem is that paint smelled horrible, make sure you ventilate very well!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: