removing stucco/spackle design off interior walls

Old 05-27-02, 05:52 AM
ascottson
Visiting Guest
Talking removing stucco/spackle design off interior walls

I recently bought a home that has old stucco/spackle designs on the walls in the living room and hallway. I desperately want to remove it but I want to try and find options besides simply sanding it off the walls and having a snowstorm in my home. My home inspector mentioned that there is a chemical or some solvent that can soften the spackle/stucco, making it easier to remove and lessen the amount of sanding. I have a pregnant wife who can not be in the home while I am working on it, and I do not want to have excessive residual dust floating in the home for weeks afterward. What can I do?

Old 05-27-02, 11:23 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing plaster reliefs

"There are basically two types of textured finish. Resin-based coatings can be softened with applications of solvent paint stripper but you have to be careful when treating ceilings, as drips of the chemical will burn the skin and eyes. Plaster-based finishes are more of a problem to remove, as chemical stripper won't loosen the material. Laborious scraping used to be the only answer with plaster based finishes but there's now a proprietary textured coating re-mover that will soften and loosen both types of finish. Sold in 2.5 litre tubs, which will strip an area of about 3 square meters - the compound is simply brushed on and left to soak in, then the finish removed with a metal scraper after about one hour. If removal of the coating is still not wholly successful, resort to dry scraping with a planer file or hook scraper be careful not to gouge the plasterwork." Removing Textured Finishes. Retrieved 27 May 2002. http://www.tipsondiy.co.uk/decorator..._finishes.html

Many older paints (prior to 1979) and wall surfaces contained lead and/or asbestos (prior to 1980s). These surfaces should not be disturbed by sanding.

Lead test kit: http://www.doityourself.com/home-safety/leadsurface.htm

http://www.doityourself.com/home-safety/leadtest.htm

http://www.doityourself.com/home-safety/asbestos.htm

Plaster reliefs in older and historic homes are highly prized. They were either cast in place on the plaster wall or cast and then adhered to the wall.

Wear a dust mask and goggles if any scraping or sanding is involved.

Old 05-27-02, 03:55 PM
ascottson
Visiting Guest
Question re stucco removal answer

"Twelvepole", thank you so much for that reply. I looked up the Eco Solutions website, but it does not note whether the product is sold in the United States. I sent an email to their export department to find out if it is sold in the US, but if you can tell me where I might find the product, it would be great. Thank you again!

Old 05-27-02, 08:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Online retailers of Eco Solutions

Natural Collection
www.naturalcollection.com

The Green Shop
www.greenshop.co.uk

Environmental Construction Products
www.ecoproducts.co.uk

They note, however, that none are located in the US. Surely, someone here has a comparable product.

Old 06-01-02, 08:16 AM
hy
Visiting Guest
removing stucco like coatings

PEEL AWAY I has been used quite successfully over the years to remove these type coatings but testing will make the determination as to whether or not it will work for you. The system is always keeping the paint in a wet or damp state so there is no airborne dust being created as would happen if you did the job by some mechanical means. I suggest you visit the web site at www.dumondchemicals.com for more info and if necessary contact the Company.

Old 06-01-02, 11:14 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
Why couldn't we prime the walls and skim coat over?

Would do away with a lot of trepidation, I'd think. Little sanding, no debris disposal, etc.

Strippers are great, I've got a boat load of it going on in a house now, but hey, we're only talking about changing the texture of the walls/maybe ceiling. What'cha think?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: