Removing Latex Paint From Driveway

Old 06-02-02, 07:55 PM
luisduo
Visiting Guest
Removing Latex Paint From Driveway

My brother was taking a gallon of blue latex paint out his car and dropped it (that's why the can has a handle!) and the paint can opened and half the can ended up on my driveway.

Of course it was also raining that day, so the paint started getting washed away, luckily it didn't make it to the sewage drain, but it did trickle down onto my neighbour's sidewalk and driveway.

I was able to get most of the paint out, but I still have traces on blue latex paint on both our driveways and sidewalks.

I would like to know what I should be using to remove the remaining paint and bring back the sidewalk and driveway to its original colour.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-02, 11:52 AM
Sonnie Layne
Visiting Guest
This may be a tough one.

I say that because I'm considering that since it involves driveways, sidewalks there must be some plant life adjacent. Maybe just lawn, maybe more.

This makes using harsh chemicals problematic. However... seems to me years ago, I was painting (actually a helper back then) a set for a commercial for 7-11 stores. In the middle of the set was a huge display of Pepsi-cola. We'd painted the floors. The display came apart, cola spread all over the place and literally stripped the colour finish off. We had to clean, rebuild and repaint in a matter of 3 hours or so. I'm thinking we were probably using latex because of the set environment.

Having said that, it would have been the carbonated water (with a dash of phosphoric acid) that did the number. I vote carbonic acid with a good water rinse. Get yourself the cheapest carbonated drink, try a spot. Won't hurt. I remember hearing years ago that club soda would remove some stains from clothing.

I'll be watching to see what other remedies come along.

Old 06-03-02, 02:52 PM
kcar100
Visiting Guest
I'm not quite sure if this will work on concrete et. al but nail polish remover has worked extremely well for me in removing latex paint. Might be worth a try.

Old 06-04-02, 04:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Are we talking about relatively fresh paint? If so, I would be inclined to try a high pressure sprayer on the spill.

Old 06-04-02, 05:10 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing latex paint spill from concrete

You might want to wet down the concrete, apply TSP (trisodium phosphate) and water solution, let set, and wash off. TSP, available at hardwares, paint and home centers, is frequently used to clean concrete and masonry.

Old 06-08-02, 07:19 AM
hy
Visiting Guest
removing latex paint

Latex paint is water based and concrete is porous so some of that paint seeped right into the surface. PEEL AWAY 7 which is a safe remover will take it out of there for you. Visit the web site at www.peelaway.com

Old 10-09-02, 03:15 PM
Sid/paul
Visiting Guest
latex paint removal

A friend and I dropped a gallon of latex onto a shag rug.......best removal was rubbing alchol. Works great on baseboards and doors too. As for the coke reply above......pepsi and coke will take tar off of anything as well......even road tar on carpet.

good luck, Sid

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: