Texturing vinyl

Old 06-04-02, 11:03 AM
KimWalpole
Visiting Guest
Texturing vinyl

I am wanting to paint and texture the wall in my mobile home. They are covered with vinyl wallpaper that I don't like. What do I use to texture with and what prep work do I need to do? Also, do you have any advice on how to do an under the sea wall mural? I am not good at drawing.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-02, 09:30 PM
Tom Lokay
Visiting Guest
If the walls are smooth and all look the same you don't really need texture. But if you want to texture, mix all purpose joint compound with some water. You can then roll it on with a 3/4 inch roller. The compound should be thin enough to be picked up by the roller, but should not run when you apply it to the wall. If you mess up, just wipe it off. You can also practice on a scrap piece of wallboard or plywood.

As far as the "Under the Sea Theme", we are doing something similar for a kids bath at my house. You can find lots of borders that fit this theme. We are using one along with a fish rug, light switch plate, night lite and shower curtain. I have also seen fish shaped drawer pulls.

We were not going to draw fish on the walls. Probably just paint them blue and sponge on a slightly lighter shade of blue and a similar shade of green.

I believe that you can buy stick on fish that match some of the borders that are sold for kids bath.

Also, art supply stores sell little projectors. You can place a cartoon picture of a fish from a book, project it on the wall and then trace around it.

Good luck

Old 03-05-04, 07:54 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
projection

make a copy of the characters on clear acetate, on a copy machine, and use an overhead projector to enlarge the images on the walls and paint away....don't bump the projector...