Paint or stain interior solid wood doors?

Old 06-11-02, 04:38 AM
Teacher Dude
Visiting Guest
Paint or stain interior solid wood doors?

I am new to this forum, and I am impressed with the knowledge base I have found here. I do have a question - I am repainting my bedroom, which has solid wood interior doors and trim, all of which is stained. Should I paint them or leave them stained? They just don't match the mahogany furniture and I thought the room might look larger and fresher if I painted it a little darker than the antique white of the wall paint I have chosen (I learned that from your forum - thanks!)

Teacher Dude

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-02, 10:19 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
That's really a matter of personal preference. Personally, I like the look of wood. In fact, this winter I'm intending to replace all my painted interior doors and trim with new stained oak doors and trim. I am also replacing the baseboards and the trim around the windows. My wife (a real estate agent) seems to think we will have an easier time selling the house in the future.

Again, just my opinion, but if you decide to paint the doors and trim, you should also paint the baseboards to match. I don't think windows are quite so critical because the windows and doors never actually touch, but it may be a consideration. Hope this helped.

Bruce

Old 06-11-02, 11:07 AM
Teacher Dude
Visiting Guest
Thank you! That is exactly what I need to know. My husband says the reason people paint the trim and doors is because they don't buy solid wood doors. It is helpful to know that your wife as a real estate agent thinks it makes the house worth more.

Our doors are solid wood, but I'm not sure what kind of wood they are. They are already stained. I sanded them with 200 grade sandpaper to smooth them out in preparation for painting. Did I mess up already?

They were never sealed or polyurethaned, so should I put a coat of sealer on there now?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Teacher Dude

Old 06-11-02, 11:58 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I am not enough of an expert on staining/varnishing to help you with that. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on this forum can help. One thought: is there a back side of a closet door (bifold or bipass) somewhere in the house that you can experiment on? I just recently did that when I was experimenting with a cup sprayer and air compressor for applying polyurethane.

Bruce

Old 06-11-02, 12:47 PM
Teacher Dude
Visiting Guest
Actually, yes, there is! That's a good idea. I was wondering if the sanding lightly would mess up the staining or the grain of the wood for sealing.

Teacher Dude

Old 06-12-02, 07:26 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No it wont mess anything up...You have done the right thing by sanding...Now you are ready for stain varnish..Put on the first coat and let it dry...Then sand again with a fine paper and you are ready for the final coat....

Old 06-12-02, 09:36 AM
Teacher Dude
Visiting Guest
Thank you! If you ever need help working an Algebra problem, let me know!!

Old 06-13-02, 12:39 AM
T
errrrr.....I think Ill pass on that one..(coughcough splutter) Thanks anyway!!

Old 06-13-02, 11:45 AM
M
Actually, my boss and his wife (architect and interior decorator, repectively), just finished a gorgeous new house, and they painted all the base (6"-12"), casing (6"), and crown (8"), but really splurged and bought high quality, solid core, 8' tall, six panel doors, which are stained in a dark color. It looks awesome...but maybe a bit too formal for some..... So my answer is, perhaps you paint the trim, but not the doors. It's been done, and it looks good to my eye.