Exterior paint prep

Old 06-12-02, 02:17 PM
gem2
Visiting Guest
Exterior paint prep

I'd like to paint chalky old (30+ yrs) aluminum siding with Duration self-priming paint. Tried to prep test area by spraying on bleach, TSP, detergent, waited 15 min (started drying in heat at 10 min) and cleaned siding with pressure washer set at 2500-2700psi in fan pattern. Although I went over it twice, it is still chalky! Spent 4 hrs holding the sprayer 1-4" from the siding and going over every inch! Some spotty areas are clean, but bunches of chalk rubs off, esp. the undersides of the lap siding--as I was concerned about blowing water up under it.

What to do next? Pressure wash more? Any extension wands out there for Sears washers? It is 1 1/2 story. What paint to use? Paint store says to spray a sealer over it, then paint, another guy at same store says use all surface enamel primer first, another says use direct to metal, another says use oil primer...then another says since I want to use the thick-film Duration I don't need primer. The factory finish (pink-ugh) is still intact, even after washing, but has a few areas where gray metal is faintly visible. HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-02, 10:35 PM
gem2
Visiting Guest
Looks like no one out there can advise on this....? Surely with summer here more people will encounter chalky siding and want to do a job that will last years....if anybody out there figures it out, please post. It might take all summer to clean this awful house, but we can paint up to late Sept/ early Oct. here.

Old 06-16-02, 06:14 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello gem2, I had this reply ready Saturday but when I tried to "Submit Reply" page could not be displayed until I had to go out for the day. Sorry about that but I did save it and here it is....gem2, I don't think you are going to like this reply. Pressure washing will not remove chalk.....:-{. It has to be scrubbed with a stiff bristle brush and I know of no other way to remove it. You may consider some brushes that will go on threaded poles like used for painting or car washing. Notice I said "brushes", a little help if you can get some makes this process less painful. If you don't scrub the chalk off you can't expect any paint to bond very well and all warranties will be void. Since you have pressure washed already scrubbing and rinsing with a hose is all that is needed. With all of the acrylic primers and self priming material available today I would skip the oil primer. I would use the Duration for this because this is really one awesome paint and is self priming....Mike

Old 06-16-02, 09:10 PM
gem2
Visiting Guest
Hello, Mike. Thanks for your reply, didn't mean to be impatient, this was my first post and I didn't quite know what to expect. I will go back to work on the house with a deck brush on an extension pole, as well as other various scrubbers. It's worse than powerwashing, but if it were wood instead of metal, I guess we'd have to be scraping and sanding, which rates worse than scrubbing, by me. Thanks again, we'll see if the chalk comes off, one of the paint store boys says some siding never stops shedding paint and chalking...