Paint over sponge paint

Old 06-17-02, 08:30 AM
moving
Visiting Guest
Question Paint over sponge paint

I am moving into a 10 year old house that the owners have painted much of the house with the sponge painting technique. The sponged paint is very thick and the walls are no longer smooth. They have done this to built-in book shelfs, doors, everything.

I want to paint the walls a new color. Is there a way to smooth out the walls or undo the sponging? I am hoping to avoid replacing alot of dry wall.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-18-02, 12:17 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting over textured walls

The thick paint has texturized the walls. To get the smooth again will require sanding. You will then need to prime before painting.

Old 06-18-02, 04:28 AM
T
Best to use an orbital sanding machine...Its gets a little dusty and its hard work..But the walls will be smooth.

Old 06-24-02, 06:05 AM
moving
Visiting Guest
Question

Thank you for the information.

After sanding, is there a way to tell if the walls are smooth and flat? Our home inspector used a flashlight to look for nail pops. Would this technic work?

Thanks again.

Old 06-25-02, 06:43 AM
T
you`ll know if they are smooth simply by running your hand over them.

Old 06-25-02, 05:32 PM
T
Run your hand over the surface

Thank you, Toptosher, I wanted to say that. Somehow, running your hand over something didn't sound high tech and professional, so I never say that. I run my hand over everything I see. I want to see it and feel it and experience it. The rough and patched walls in my rental drive me nuts at night when the artificial lights bounce off them. The landlord states that I can repaint as long as I use "antique white" from the local paint store.

So, in the middle of the night, my imagination runs wild with vivid colors, bright white, and new fallen fortunes where replacing the 25+ year old carpet would be an insignificant expense to me in a rental.

My dad, who was a carpenter, taught me to "feel." If it is not smooth, then you need to do what is necessary to correct it. I was a carpenter's helper at age 9. If it is not smooth, you can get you @@@ in trouble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: