Someone shoot me!

Old 06-17-02, 06:12 PM
Hard Charger
Visiting Guest
Angry Someone shoot me!

I'm ready to rip the wall down!
I'm repainting the bathroom. I'm using Behr Semi-gloss paint, in a toasted amond color. I have painted the bathroom with...so far 4 coats. There is ONE wall however that is kicking my A$$. After the four coats this perticular wall decided to start getting these clumpy spots, and a few dull spots. The rest of the wall slook just GREAT! So, I decided to put on another coat on just this wall. Now the clumpy spots look even worse. So, I sanded the entire wall down. I didn't want to go all the way to the dry wall so I sanded it down just enough to remove the thick clumpy spots. Repainted, and they are still there. It looks like the paint is being blotted on. I'm at a complete loss! I'm now put the third coat on this wall tonight since in sanded it. I'm using a 1/4" nap purdy roller. Anyone have any ideas?? Sledge hammer, or make the entire bathroom texured?

Old 06-17-02, 07:26 PM
reallyhandygal
Visiting Guest
may be the paint

I bought Behr and it was just awful. Went on poorly and dried like clotted blood. Then weirdest of all, peeled off like a trash bag stuck by static cling. I noted poor coverage, color was bizarre when wet and actually dried an entirely different color. Returned it for refund, bought paint from a "paint store" and the difference was phenomenal. I think Behr has quality problems

Old 06-17-02, 07:32 PM
Hard Charger
Visiting Guest
Now what?

The wife isnt to happy, and no matter how many times I've gone over this wall...nothing. I'm thinking I'm just going to break out the sander....and sand the wall down to nothing, primer it, then repaint. The only problem now is that I'm out of paint in this color. I have to other full gallons that are suppose to be the same color....but guess what....they are a bit off. So...back to square one. I'm going to sand that way, prime, and then repaint the entire bathroom. My only problem now is that I have two gallons of BEHR!!! I'll never buy this crap again. I have had nothing but trouble. I painted the entire house with it. The ceilings are an even worse matter. I can't say all rooms turned out bad...there are just as many rooms in the house that the paint went on like a champ!

Back to the paint bucket!

Old 06-17-02, 11:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Paint failure - Clumps

Because the paint went on like a champ in some rooms and not others and on ceilings it tends to make one wonder about why? Possibly humidity conditions.

"A high level of humidity inside the house is probably the cause if paint failure occurs on the outside walls of the bathroom or kitchen, and it can be even more pro-nounced on the outside of an upper floor. In multi-story buildings, there is a chimney effect. Warm moist air is trying to vent upstairs, and eventually this moisture travels out through the siding. Paint failure may be more noticeable near electrical outlets or other breaks in the vapor barrier. Drier air enters the house through cracks on the main level; therefore, paint failure caused by high humidity is usually not a problem on the main level. Condensation on the windows also indicates excessive humidity in the house. Turning down your humidifier or turning on a bathroom exhaust fan will help lower the humidity level inside the house." Why Your House Paint Failed. 19 June 2002. http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

"Is there any special concerns for applying paint in Humidity over 75%?

You should allow for more dry time when the humidity is over 75%. You should double or triple the 4 hour dry time listed on the can. Deep based dark colors take even longer to dry. If you are using deep bases, give each coat at least 12 hours to dry. If you can circulate the air in the room with fans it will help the paint dry more quickly." BEHR FAQ's. Retrieved 19 June 2002. http://www.behrpaint.com/cgi-bin/db2...14=N&a15=N#a12

http://houseandhome.aol.homestore.co...t/interior.asp

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/diy/...de/default.asp

Possible other reasons for clumps: I have seen paint clump when it was not mixed well and on surfaces that were not properly cleaned. I have also seen clumps in paint where rollers were used for so long that the paint along the sides of the pan and on the ends of rollers began to set up and deposited clumps on the walls. Also, when adequate drying time was not allowed between coats.

Old 06-18-02, 12:23 PM
Hard Charger
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. Might be a little of everything you mentioned. I do have a habbit of not waiting for the four hours....

I'm thinking trying my hand at texturizing the walls in the bathroom now.

Do I need to sand and primer or can I just put to texture paint over top of the latex paint existing?

Old 06-18-02, 05:25 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Painting interior walls

The drying time on the paint label is a general guideline. It is a drying time that is adequate given all conditions are ideal. Depending on temperature, humidity, and how thick the application, drying time may take longer. Haste can make waste!

Applying textured paint takes a long-napped roller and a sponge to get into the tight spots where roller won't go. Don't try to spread the texture too thin, a mistake many make. If have been using a latex paint, a latex textured paint in a comparable color can be applied without a primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: