Painting after removing wallpaper

Old 06-18-02, 10:37 AM
Ribbit
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Painting after removing wallpaper

Please help! I just purchased a house and began redoing one of the rooms. It looks like the room has always had wallpaper but I now want to paint it. I removed the wallpaper with a steamer then scrubbed with walls with Diff (an adhesive remover) then I washed the walls and painted one coat of primer lastly I painted one coat of a latex paint. Now I am trying to paint another coat and the paint is peeling. What is going on? How do I fix this? I was told to sand the walls and prime them again with Kiltz or Behr primer. Can't I just paint another coat of primer and have that seal the wall?

Old 06-19-02, 02:27 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
I'll assume the walls must be plaster. If so, the water-based products you've used have reacted with the lime in the plaster and bubbled like an Alka Selter tablet would. Let it all dry out, sand the walls to remove the material that is/will fail. Remove the dust. Prime with oil, then paint. The oil will keep moisture out of the plaster. Do this in all other rooms you may paint in the future to avoid similar trouble. If not plaster, let me know. The old basecoat of paint was likely oil and your primer was insufficient to bond with it and you'll need a quality bonding primer after sanding and cleaning the walls.

Keith

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: