Problems painting over caulk

Old 07-02-02, 08:28 PM
jpaykel
Visiting Guest
Problems painting over caulk

Help -- I painted over caulk and 1 week later it shows noticeable cracking.

Here's my story: As part of a DIY dining room remodel, I recently built and installed some window seats and added some molding. I applied caulk to seal the gaps between the molding/seats and the wall. I had no idea what type of caulk to use, I took the advice of the guy at Home Depot (I know, I know, that was my first mistake ). He recommended DAP dynaflex 230 (see http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_det...=1&prodhdrid=4). I applied the caulk according to directions, and it had plenty of time to cure (it was at least 2 weeks) before I painted it. I didn't use primer, but did apply 2 coats of an interior flat latex. I noticed the cracks beginning to form around the window seat almost immediately.

Should I have used primer or a different kind of caulk? More importantly, is there anything I can do now, short of removing the caulk and repainting?

Old 07-02-02, 08:46 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the web site, this caulk is paintable. Is the paint not adhering to the caulk, or is it cracking where the caulk meets the wood? I suspect the window seats have shifted, due to use or the wood is shrinking / expanding. The caulk stays flexible, but the paint is less flexible.

I've experienced the same thing on outdoor joints that have been caulked - although it takes a full season for the joints to shift and the paint to crack.

A better option would have been to find a latex caulk in a matching color. You could have applied this after painting, leaving the caulk unpainted. I've even customized latex caulk by adding a bit of latex paint as a colorant.

I don't want to tell you to rip out the old caulk and start over. Maybe someone else has a better idea......

Old 07-03-02, 11:08 AM
jpaykel
Visiting Guest
I really hope I don't have to. I'd almost rather leave it the way it is, even though it looks bad.

I think the paint is adhering. For the most part, there is coverage and I can't make it flake off or chip using, e.g., my fingernail or a putty knife. But I am getting cracks both along the length of the bead and crosswise. It almost looks like a weatherized/crackle faux finish, except that wasn't my intention and the rest of the wall has a solid, non-crackled coat in the same color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: