Cutting in paint for popcorn ceiling

Old 07-03-02, 11:40 AM
lkelly
Visiting Guest
Cutting in paint for popcorn ceiling

When I paint my popcorn ceiling, will I need to cut in the paint around the edges of the ceiling with a brush before using a roller? Thanks!

Old 07-03-02, 03:26 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
If you're painting the walls next (as I assume you will do), just brush in the edge as necessary. You won't need to be too careful as the walls will be painted next anyway.

Old 07-04-02, 10:13 AM
Tsparky78
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up popcorn

Yes you will need to cut in with a brush.It takes a little while but it can be done.You must pull your brush both directions to get it to cover the popcorn.And if your new at it keep a rag to wipe off any excess.Just done one last week hope this helps

Old 07-05-02, 12:48 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No you dont!!,,, Just brush the ceiling edges into the wall and cut the wall in when the ceiling is finished.

Old 07-07-02, 08:21 PM
paintitall7
Visiting Guest
I hate to roll popcorn ceilings.The best method (in my opinion) is to tack plastic over windows ,woodwork-cover carpet.etc. with drop covers-and spray it. I repaint apts. for a living and deal with popcorn ceilings about twice a week.It is faster and will look much better-no roller lines or light spots.Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-02, 01:26 PM
Mark Nolte
Visiting Guest
Has the popcorn been painted previously?

I was ignorant, and tried rolling on latex. Popcorn clogged the roller, fell in my hair, attached itself to my shoes (top and bottom). I gave up.

Got a Wagner Sprayer, masked everything, and sealed the ceiling with primer, then came back two hours later with the latex.

I used the primer because a friend (who should know) said some popcorn has asbestos in it. Mine probably does.

I later brushed and scrapped the popcorn from another room, revealing a multiude of sins. Popcorn has it's virtues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: