Priming over plaster skim coat (which is over gloss paint)

Old 07-04-02, 09:12 AM
popcorn
Visiting Guest
Priming over plaster skim coat (which is over gloss paint)

I had a bedroom with gloss paint from 19??. I've washed it down and sanded it. After the sanding, I put a skim coat of plaster on it to try to even out the wall and/or conceal spots where cracking and chipping had occurred. I started to prime and yikes!!!! The primer is taking off the skim coat. What did I do wrong and what do I do now? I've spent days in this room and I need to get it ready for visitors coming in August. Help!!

Old 07-08-02, 10:07 AM
jlh114
Visiting Guest
Hmmm, I don't have much advice to offer you, but I have a similar situation with a bedroom- gloss paint over rough plaster. I've been trying to figure out myself what to do with it. I'm glad I didn't skim coat with plaster! Sounds like you have poor adherence between the wall and the plaster, despite sanding. When I thought about sanding myself, I realized that I could not sand in the crevices in which the plaster would really need to adhere. I imagine that's your problem, but I hope an expert can chime in here- I also would like to know a solution for my walls. I had thought about wallpapering- or using a wallpaper liner to smooth the wall and painting that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: