Painting new house

Old 07-11-02, 09:58 AM
akn
Visiting Guest
Painting new house

Hi,
I just bought a new town home, and I and my spouse want to try our hand at painting each room with different colours.
Also there are a couple of nicks and scrapes on some walls, due to movers, Alarm installers etc.
1. How difficult is it to paint by one self?
2. Do I need to prepare the wall (except the ones with nicks) or
can I just paint over?
3. How to choose paint and tools?

I would appreciate some answers from experts and experienced alike and I thank you in advance for your time.
-AKN

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-02, 05:31 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
brand new or new to you?

Painting is a very common DIY project.

If the walls are in good shape, you should be good to go. If the walls are dirty, wash them. If its a kitchen, wash any way. Normal cooking puts an invisible layer of grime on the walls.

With paint and tools you really get what you pay for. You can't get a $100 job with a $2 brush.
Get a 2 or 2-1/2 inch brush, 9" roller and sleeve. Also get an extension for the roller handle - this saves the back.
And get a separate pail for the brush. DO NOT dip the brush in the paint bucket.

There are brushes made for oil paints and brushes made for latex paints. Use the correct type.
More and more people are getting a 5 gallon bucket and roller "board" (like an old fashioned wash board) that fits in the bucket instead of a roller pan.
Buy good drop cloths. Do not buy the cheap plastic covers.

Get your paint from a paint store.

If you need more than one gallon of a color, mix the gallons together to ensure the shades are the same. There is a difference from one gallon to another. Mixing together is easy. Pour some from one gallon into the paint pail. Take the 2nd gallon and pout some into the pail and some into first gallon. Do this several times.

Old 07-12-02, 07:03 AM
akn
Visiting Guest
It is a newly constructed house

Thanks for your reply.

Old 07-12-02, 09:00 AM
B
Brand new - walls already painted?

Brand new - are the walls already painted or are you doing that to save some $$ off the purchase?

If the walls and woodwork are bare then they need to be primed before painting.

If they are already painted, it is probably builders paint. This stuff is very watered down. What it means to you is that your first coat will be really abosorbed by the walls. Count on two coats of paint.

BTW - if you choose to paint the woodwork I prefer a latex enamel over regular latex. That said, my first choice is stained woodwork. IMHO, stained woodwork looks good no matter what color is on the walls.

If you choose to tape, use blue painters tape and remove it as soon as you are done that day.

Old 07-12-02, 11:27 AM
akn
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. The house is a newly constructed town home and the builder has completed the house with paint and evrything- move in condition. However as you said, the paint even though it looks OK, is a watered down version and the same colour.
After I moved in, the movers put a couple of nicks on the wall, I put a a nick or two on some other wall, the refrigeratpr installer and the alarm installer dirtied and nicked a wall.
The other walls are mostly clean.
BTW I am confused with the comment about the tape. Whay do I need tape (Is it to mask of areas which I do not want paint to spill)
ANd when you talk about wood work are you referring to the stair handles etc?
Thanks
-AKN

Old 07-14-02, 07:03 AM
Tsparky78
Visiting Guest
Smile

It is not difficult at all to paint by your self.You do your cut in first then go behind your self and roll.If it were me I would lightly sand over the walls with no repairs to get any Improfections off the wall from last paint job so you will have a smooth wall to start with.If your dings in your wall are not real big you can get a lightweight spackling to do your patching a lot less work. AS far as choosing paint and tools go to your local paint store they can help you get just what you need.And help you pick the best paint for the job.Here are a few things you will need .drops,5 in 1 scraper,sand paper 240grit,3/4 in. roller nap,5gal.buckett,buckett grid,roller frame,roller pole,sanding head,and one good trim brush.Ihope this helps you good luck.

Old 07-14-02, 07:25 AM
akn
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I will keep u posted on the results.

Old 07-15-02, 04:52 AM
B
many DIYers like to mask the woodwork

By woodwork I mean the baseboards, the wood around doors and windows, crown moldings (wood where the ceiling and walls meet), and chair rails.

Cutting in takes a good brush, proper technique, and a steady hand. DIYers would rather mask off than spend the $$ on a good brush and learn the proper technique. Tape has its drwbacks. Its time consuming to apply. It has to be removed soon aftter you paint. IF allowed to remain for a couple of days, you pull paint off the wall when you remove the tape.

Pros don't mask as it takes too long. Remeber to buy a good brush. Paint with the tips, not the sides, of the brush. This sounds slike silly advice, but most people do paint with the sides of the brush - they apply too much angle and too much pressure.

The nicks are handled with the spackle. Apply with a putty knife, let dry, then sand smooth. The smoother its applied, the easier it will be to get smooth when its dried.

Use a sanding pole to sand the walls. Its faster, easier, and does a better job.