Repainting a Bedroom

Old 07-14-02, 07:11 AM
Got2BeIng
Visiting Guest
Question Repainting a Bedroom

I am repainting my bedroom. We've been in the house for 27 years and this room was painted right before we moved in. Anyway, the room was turquoise blue - I guess my parents thought a teenager would like turquoise blue. Well, I am now trying to paint it bone white. I didn't originally prime the wall, just put a coat of white semi-gloss as a primer and then put the first coat of bone white over it. A portion of the wall is bubbling and peeling, allowing the blue to come through. I was told to prime over that. I did and the primer bubbled in the same areas. I wish to start over and do it right. Exactly what steps do I take to accomplish this? I did get the least expensive paint as well so perhaps that's a factor. Please advise.

Last edited by Got2BeIng; 07-14-02 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-15-02, 11:50 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you know if the old paint was oil based? Latex will not adhere to oil. If you are confident that the old paint was latex, sections could be dirty or glossy. Since you are already in up to your neck.... I would suggest you lightly sand any areas that are blistering or pealing. Touch up those areas with an oil based primer. Then top coat with any GOOD latex wall paint. Don't skimp on paint. Stick with a major brand. Use a quality roller and brush.

Old 07-15-02, 02:37 PM
Got2BeIng
Visiting Guest
I actually do not know if the previous paint was oil-based. All I know is that it was a flat paint and once it got stained, the stains wouldn't come out. From what I've read, latex paint can be "washed" to remove stains. Also, what you've indicated is what I see happening: most of the paint is not adhering to the wall even in the areas that aren't peeling. Is there something I can basically wash the wall with and start over? If so, what is it and then do I get an oil-based primer and latex paint or oil-based paint as well? I heard something about TSP but when I've put it in the search on Home Depot and Lowe's, I get either something else or no match. I've only done half a wall so I still have time to start over before I get to the other 3 walls.

Old 07-15-02, 03:37 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm glad to hear you only did half of one wall! You may be able to remove the latex paint with a damp cloth.....like an old towel soaked in warm water. Since the paint is not sticking, you might be able to rub it off or sand it off If not, you could buy stripper at a paint store or home center. I've heard of a citrus based product (called "Goofoff"?) that removes dry latex paint. A full strength stripper may get you down to bare sheetrock.

TSP is sold in any paint store or Home Depot/Lowes. It's a powder and comes in a small box. Mix with water, and wash the old walls.

Do you best to clean off the old stains. Wash and sand as needed. Try an oil based primer on one section of the wall to see if it adheres. If it's ok, finish priming all the walls, and top coat with good paint.

Let us know how you make out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: