Oak Walls are DARK! Too Dark!

Old 07-27-02, 07:04 PM
Sylvia Mak
Visiting Guest
Oak Walls are DARK! Too Dark!

Would greatly appreciate it if I could get some advice on how to remove the stain off of the oak walls in my den. The oak is not a veneer but approx. 1/4 in. thick, which means I do not want to get rid of the wood, but prefer to strip the stain.

I have removed the carpeting from the room today, so have plenty of "slop" room to process the walls.

Of course, I prefer the easiest method! Thanks for any help you can give.

Best regards,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-02, 06:53 AM
Lightbulb Have a belt sander ??

If not, chemical paint stripper would work.
Or you could try wiping it down with some mineral spirits/paint thinner

Old 07-28-02, 08:15 AM
Sylvia,
You are likely to find it difficult to "strip" the stain. More so with dark stain. By it's nature, stain soaks into the grain of the wood. Stripping would remove the top layer of polyurethane or varnish, and maybe some of the stain. When you get to that point, try sanding with a medium grit paper. Chances are you'll still have a good amount of stain imbedded in the wood. Let us know how it looks, and we'll make further suggestions.

Old 07-28-02, 10:58 AM
Sylvia Mak
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the speedy response 54regcab and RichD! Will keep you posted on progress (assuming there is some;-)).

Best regards,
Sylvia:-)

Old 07-28-02, 10:02 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
The traditional light ceiling actually works in reverse in a dark wood panelled room. A warmer colored ceiling paint (tan or something bolder) and a clean finish on the woodwork will make the room less gloomy.