4x4 posts

Old 08-16-02, 11:03 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
4x4 posts

Im looking for a way to install 4x4x48 " max height posts for advertising signs. All ive worked with is holes and concrete but Im looking for something more removable less labor intensive but able to support wind loads of around 2'x3' signs. Is there anything out there ready made like this? pound in or screw in type earth anchor? Or something with a few pieces of rebar in the ground and some connecting straps to the post to make myself?
Thanks for ideas-Josh

Old 08-17-02, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Upvotes on 215 Posts
There is a pound-in product that consists of a steel cup the size of a 4x4 with a tapered spike (2-3' long as I remember). You put a scrap piece of 4x4 in the cup and bang it in with a sledge hammer. Take out scrap piece and insert & secure your 4x4. Not sure how much wind load it would withstand; would depend somewhat on your soil type. Check in section of your local home center that has the mailboxes and posts.

Old 08-17-02, 11:50 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
checked at lowes ( i hate lowes was just en route) they didnt have them .. do you have a website they sound great i have very rocky clayish soil should be perfect! Thanks-josh

Old 08-18-02, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately, can't remember where I've seen them. Will try to figure out who has them.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Lowe's. I shop at H-D only because there is one 6 miles south and one 10 miles north. Closest Lowe's is about 40 miles (35 miles of it interstate fortunately, for when I get the urge).

Old 08-18-02, 06:45 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
i live within 3 minutes of an Ace hardware. i think they spoiled me. although i must admit you pay alot more for the same things there. luckily i live around an ace lowes HD 84 lumber and some heavy duty lumberyards are within 10-20 minute driving distance. ill look around today. thanks again. -Josh

Old 08-18-02, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Do-It-Yourself.com hardware store has them in 24" and 30" sizes:

"30 inch Post Up [Contractor Pack of 4] by USP Lumber Connectors"

A little hard to find in the store, but they're there - $48.10 for a pack of 4.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: