Springing Floor

Old 09-15-02, 09:44 PM
calfred
Visiting Guest
Springing Floor

A home inspector says that my upper story floor is springing (shaking) due to a loose floor joist. I suspected that the underfloor plywood came loose from the joists, but he says that since there are no squeaks, it would have to be a loose joist. Could there be another reason for this problem? What must I do to correct this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-02, 05:45 AM
Is the movement more pronounced near a wall or in the middle of the room? Is there any cracking in the ceiling under the springy floor? Is the springiness only along one floor joist, or generally throught the room? Is this a change from how the floor behaved in years past? If the joist has in fact come loose from the rim joist due to poor nailing, I would suspect you would see cracks where the ceiling joins the wall in the room below. There might be other signs of sagging too, such as a line where the baseboard has sagged slightly. Are any of these signs visible? If this is in fact the case, you may need to cut away some of the drywall on the ceiling to give you access to the joist/rim joist intersection. Jack the joist back up to its original position and renail or toenail with construction screws. You then have a drywall patch job to tackle.