Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Considering stair redesign

CAL

10-24-02, 03:52 PM   #1  
Considering stair redesign

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes...

The stairs in my house have walls instead of a balustrade.
I would like to remove the walls surrounding the stairs (they are not load bearing, only about 4 feet high in place of railings)and install a classic balustrade.

What I'm not totally clear on is when I remove the walls down to the tread level, would I end up with the ends of framing 2x4's? Hopefully then I could nail the outside stair stringer to these 2x4's through the drywall then put in longer hardwood treads to overlap the stringer.

My concern is that normally the outside stringer is not a structural element and is mostly for appearances. Since the walls are about 6 inches thick, the treads would be extended at least this amount and would be partially supported by the outside stringer. Ideally I suppose a new structural stringer should be put in as close to the outside wall as possible?

I'm planning at the very least to put in hardwood treads so at that point I believe I'll be able to see the existing stringers and how close the outside one is to the wall.

I also ordered a book on stair design but of course it won't address the above issues.

Also, some one told me that code might not allow removal of the walls. I don't see why this would be so since they are not load bearing and would be replaced with a balustrade meeting code.

Basically I'm trying to get an idea of what framing might be required. I can probably handle the rest. FYI the house is about 15 years old.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

OH

10-25-02, 08:25 PM   #2  
Code issues

If there are code issues, you need to check with your local building inspector regarding those issues, permits, and inspections.

Search this Thread