Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wainscoating

Visiting Guest

11-02-02, 01:08 PM   #1  
tunnelrat
Wainscoating

I want to use the beaded board I took down from an old house as wainscoating. I think it's about 1/2" thick. My question is, how tall should the wainscoating be and should I put plywood under the sheetrock ( or in-place of the sheetrock) on the bottom. Does the plywood have to be above the wainscoating in order to trim the top of the wainscoating?? The walls are about 93"s tall. The sheetrock on the top of the wall is to be 1/2" thick. I guess you can tell this is a first for me huh?? Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links

VA

11-02-02, 04:27 PM   #2  
"Standard" height for chair rail ranges form 30 - 36" - basically whatever suits your taste.

The beaded board (I'm assuming it's T&G boards) can be glued to the current drywall. Easier installation and no nail heads to cover up. You'll need to remove the baseboard (if already in plac( and run the board to the floor - then reinstall the baseboard.

Unfortunately, this is going to leave you a 1/2" drop back at the top of the wainscoating. You may get lucky and find some kind of molding with that recess at your local building supply, but chances are you're going to either have to make it yourself, or have it made.

One possibility (the light bulb went off as I was typing) is 1/2" quarter round. Placed on top of the wainscoating it would 'roll back' into the dry wall. If the top of the wainscoating is a little ragged, standard chair rail could be installed to cover that...

Visiting Guest

11-03-02, 04:41 AM   #3  
tunnelrat
thanks george!!

+, I've stripped the walls in the den back down to the studs, in order to install new insulation, going back with new 1/2" sheetrock. Since it's an older house the studs are not on 16" centers, so I'll be installing the sheetrock horizonialy.
Should I put 1/2" plywood at the bottom of the wall in order in nail up this wainscoat? I think if I do the sheetrock and the wainscoat should come out about even at the joint. Is this the way you would approach this?

VA

11-04-02, 05:36 PM   #4  
1/2" drywall above, 1/2" plywood below - you're even at that point. Applying the wainscoating over the plywood will have it out about 1/2" - hence my suggestion for 1/2" quarter round at the top of the wainscoating...

Visiting Guest

11-08-02, 03:37 AM   #5  
tunnelrat
Thanks George....

SC

11-08-02, 06:32 PM   #6  
There is a cap molding for the top of wainscot panels. Look around your lumber and molding suppliers.

Search this Thread