Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Incorrect siding installed - options??

Incorrect siding installed - options??

Old 12-30-02, 06:10 PM
Deke
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Incorrect siding installed - options??

I'm building a house and the incorrect siding was installed. The color is correct, but the style is wrong. I would like the builder to replace the siding with the correct syle, but would also like to change the color of the siding. Is this a reasonable request? It would be of no additional charge to them if they switched color, so my thoughts are that the color selection should be irrelevant (to them).
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-03, 03:56 PM
If the style of the siding was spelled out in the original agreement, the contractor is liable to replace what's up with the correct style and THE COLOR ORIGINALLY SPECIFIED.

He is NOT obligated to change color, and can use this argument to not do anything at all - which is probably why you're here in the first place, right?

Old 01-03-03, 04:56 PM
Deke
Visiting Guest
Thanks, George, for the response. I am actually still waiting for them to make a decision - one of the decision makers is on vacation - but I wanted to explore my options before talking further with them.

Technically, they have no reason to change the color, but, for good customer service, wouldn't it be to their advantage? Certainly clients, like builders, are allowed to make mistakes too?

Oh well, I'll just wait and see what happens.
Thanks!

Old 01-04-03, 08:56 PM
Deke:

If your contractor just changes style of the siding he may be able to reuse the trim which is normaly the same color of the siding. If he changes the color it means he will need to replace all of the trim also. The color of the trim was not the contractors misstake. If the contractor must replace the trim because of color change I would think there would be a additional charge.

Old 01-06-03, 12:14 PM
Deke
Visiting Guest
You are exactly right...I found out this morning that they are willing to change the color of the siding so long as we pay for the trim that needs to be replaced, which is fair. Thanks for your help - you confirmed that our builder is doing the right thing, which is reasurring for this first time home builder!