Aquarium Stand

Old 06-07-00, 06:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am a novice craftsman and I decided to build an aquarium stand. The design will be a simple 2X4 box frame, with ply wood siding. My concern is what would be the best way to join the 2X4's together and provide the strongest joint. Also, I should mention the plans call for the 2X4 to join so that the end of the one 2X4(vertical piece) attaches to the 2" side of the other (horizontal piece)

[This message has been edited by Brett Lingo (edited June 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Brett Lingo (edited June 07, 2000).]

Old 06-10-00, 10:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Brett,
It is a little difficult to vision the joinery that you mention, but by cutting good square ends on the pieces and using some good glue and screws (I like Titebond II glue and coarse thread, square drive screws) you should be able to get a stable finished product if you have a decent set of plans. If you can half-lap any 2x4's that cross and make a dado or rabbet of about 1/4" depth for any other connections, they should be plenty strong alone, and when combined with the plywood, should be more than adequate support for an aquarium.

Old 06-11-00, 11:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Brett:
This is just called a square corner. Attach with 3" square drive screws. 4 screws in each corner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: