motor oil for fences?

Old 07-10-00, 12:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have heard that motor oil is a good protectant for wood fences. Is this true?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-00, 08:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Hi:whiskey

Never heard of this myself. However, I doubt you would want to use motor oil for two reasons I could think of off handed.

Motor oil will not soak in.
Motor oil will collect and hold dirt and dust.

I could stand corrected here and I too will wait to see if a professional can offer a reason why common motor oil could be used.

Personally, I would buy an oil based product designed for this exact purpose. Maybe something like linseed oil or the oil product used on shake roofs.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Personal Quote:
"When experience and knowledge fail,
often times common sense and wisdom will prevail."

Old 07-11-00, 04:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes, motor oil for fences is from the old school. The very old school. It did protect the wood. However, you cannot use it any more. DEQ won't let you. Gets into the ground etc. It absorbed well, but did not look too good. Now days, you can use linseed oil. Give it a couple of coats and your all set. Good Luck Linseed oil will not change the color of the wood too much.

Old 07-12-00, 12:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack the Contractor:
Yes, motor oil for fences is from the old school. The very old school. It did protect the wood. However, you cannot use it any more. DEQ won't let you. Gets into the ground etc. It absorbed well, but did not look too good. Now days, you can use linseed oil. Give it a couple of coats and your all set. Good Luck Linseed oil will not change the color of the wood too much.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 07-14-00, 06:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello!
It it true that motor oil will be absorbed into the wood, but the EPA would have a hissy fit if they found out!! Also you could be brought up on charges if caught! There is a second choice...... Several companies sell wood preservative for such jobs. It applies green but the color goes away after a bit. Go to your local paint or building supply store and ask for inground wood preservative!
DRM REMODELING
[email protected]