Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

filling the cracks between planks in ceiling

filling the cracks between planks in ceiling

Old 08-09-00, 08:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I was in the process of relacing the ceiling in the in the unheated back entrance to my house when I discovered 10" wide planks under the drywall. I would now like to just finish the planks with an opaque/milky stain but first I would like to fill in some of the cracks between the planks. In some spots these cracks are 3/4" wide. What could I use to fill these in, keeping in mind I am not looking for a perfect job.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-00, 02:46 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodger:
I was in the process of relacing the ceiling in the in the unheated back entrance to my house when I discovered 10" wide planks under the drywall. I would now like to just finish the planks with an opaque/milky stain but first I would like to fill in some of the cracks between the planks. In some spots these cracks are 3/4" wide. What could I use to fill these in, keeping in mind I am not looking for a perfect job.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rather than filling the cracks, have you considered nailing some small wood molding to bridge the cracks? If the original planks are somewhat rough sawn, check out plaster lathe strips, other wise, look at rectangular molding 1/4" by 1&1/2" or whatever size you think will look best. You could always buy one piece of several types and tack it in place to see how it will look.