Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

proper way to have vinyl siding installed over masonite

Old 01-09-03, 04:56 PM
choocad
Visiting Guest

am getting up quotes for having vinyl put on over masonite, what questions do I need to ask?

Old 01-10-03, 03:07 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Vinyl siding installation

When hiring any contractor, one should get references and call these references and/or go see some of their work. A contractor should be licensed and insured. Ask for copies of certificates of insurance and call to confirm that the insurance is current. They should have liability insurance so that if any damage results to your property during the work, you will be covered. They should have Worker's Compensation Insurance to cover the workers in the event someone is injured during the project. Your home owner's insurance will not cover these injuries. Get copies of certificates of insurance and call the agencies to make sure these are current.

For FAQs about vinyl siding you can go to the Vinyl Siding Institute's website at http://www.vinylsiding.org/install/installfaq.htm While these questions are geared more for the DIYer, they will provide you with some info and language that you can use to ask questions. If you have and understanding of the installation process, you can ask questions about installation procedures. If the contractor can not give you the correct answers, then it might be a clue that you need to work with a different contractor.

Old 01-11-03, 05:13 AM
choocad
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the information, JW

Old 01-21-03, 06:26 PM
woodpecker
Visiting Guest
make sure whoever does it uses liquid nail and tapcon screws. they will have to strap it off to provide nailing. dont let them use ramset because the stucco is too brittle to hold that type of fastening. ive done this type applacation more than once so let me know with pics and ill tell you if its being done righht

Old 01-23-03, 04:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
choocad,

I would suggest doing what twelvepole is recommending and PLEASE check out the link that was given. This is crucial!

I don't know what the heck woodpecker is doing but let's get it straight so you don't get messed up, beside's that, you got masonite, not stucco exterior! What's with this Liquid Nails?!!

I would suggest highly that you remove the existing masonite siding. The reason is that your existing trim around windows/doors will be indented so much that you won't like appearance. I assume that you will have windows and doors wrapped as this makes everything maintenance free, so again the look will be very important to you.

Yes, it may cost extra but here is the straight facts...vinyl siding can be placed over an existing siding if;

1. You apply vertical furring strips, this is about 3/4" over the siding and that the furring strips are properly secured. This is usually done with long screws/nails as long as it's secure. Then you add the new vinyl siding application on that and then it is 1" out from the furring strips, as you can see the protrusion out from the existing siding is already getting deeper.

2. If you apply rigid sheathing over the existing siding, like OSB or rigid insulation, I prefer OSB sheathing with a VAPOR BARRIER. You cannot apply vinyl siding over the existing siding without doing one of these 2 things. If you are told otherwise, call the manufacturer or local major lumber yard of the siding that is to be placed on the home and confirm the process so improper installation won't VOID THE WARRANTY.

P.S. TAKE EVERYTHING OFF YOUR WALLS WHEN THIS IS DONE AND IF YOU HAVE AN ANIMAL, PLEASE TAKE IT SOMEWHERE QUIET! MAKE SURE THAT THEY PROTECT ALL LANDSCAPING! PLACEMENT OF A DUMPSTER IS CRITICAL AS WELL!

Hope this helps and please take twelvepoles advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: