Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wood for floors

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-04-00, 12:57 PM   #1  
I asked this question in the floor forum and part of my question was answered, I have a mountain cabin and want a rustic floor, can I use wood from a lumber store for the floor? On the wood forum I was told I don't have to use tongue and groove and can top nail. So what am I missing as far as the difference from floor planks and regular wood. Thanks

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-04-00, 04:56 PM   #2  
For your cabin you are thinking of floor planks which could be 2x8's, 2x10's, or 2x12's. These can be top nailed. Three nails minimum with 4 on the wider ones. And nails every 2 to 3 feet. These boards will get loose and probably warp a little, but they will be rustic. Regualr wood flooring is a hard wood. Usually oak and is tongue and groove with finish nails into the tongue for a clear floor. They can alos be pegged, but this is very expensive. Hope this helps.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-04-00, 07:01 PM   #3  
Jack, thank you so much for replying, so you are saying that I can use regular lumber, but that it might come loose, would you not recommend doing this, if you do not recommend against doing it, would I sand it like you would a regular wood floor and then stain? I really appreciate you passing on your expertise.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-25-00, 09:04 PM   #4  
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonya:
I asked this question in the floor forum and part of my question was answered, I have a mountain cabin and want a rustic floor, can I use wood from a lumber store for the floor? On the wood forum I was told I don't have to use tongue and groove and can top nail. So what am I missing as far as the difference from floor planks and regular wood. Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sonya,
I just saw another option for a cabin.....
The past owners of a cabin my friends just bought had laid "good 1 side plywood" over the old floor, scribed parallel lines about 2-3" apart to simulate planking and stained it. It takes a beating and is probaly cheaper than planking

Visiting Guest

12-16-00, 05:15 AM   #5  
some help
Hello
I build a dude ranch and all the floors were were pine v-rustic installed early in the construction stage and used
when it came time to finish we we cleaned them up and use a bees wax mix the more you use and wax the better the floors looked....Have fun... and yes we did face nail with finish nails and did not fill the holes...

TX

12-16-00, 07:42 AM   #6  
Wouldn't a small head finishing screw be a better fastener? I think it would, and prevent squeaking and noise transfer.

VA

12-20-00, 06:34 PM   #7  
Some years back I installed a pine floor using cabinet screws - they're about the size of finish nails, small head, square drive. They did an excellent job for me

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-30-00, 06:13 PM   #8  
If you choose to apply a plank floors you might want to consider top nailing with cut nails. I think they look much better on a plank floor. They are generally recommended on even T and G flooring that exceeds 8 inches to prevent cupping. There are a a variety of sources but Tremont Nail Company is probably the best. They use the same machines to "cut" their nails with that were in use when cut nails were the only option avialable. They have the largest variety that I am aware of anywhere. You can order from their webb site. You can find them on the by searching "cut nails" or by their name

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-27-01, 01:23 PM   #9  
pine v rustic floor

Originally posted by some help
Hello
I build a dude ranch and all the floors were were pine v-rustic installed early in the construction stage and used
when it came time to finish we we cleaned them up and use a bees wax mix the more you use and wax the better the floors looked....Have fun... and yes we did face nail with finish nails and did not fill the holes...

I am putting in pine floors like described above, my contactor has never used bees wax as a stain/protector. I use "briwax" on my furniture at home. Is this what I should use on the raw wood once it is in place? any recomendations on application style and color to use. I want thema little darker than a honey pine.

Search this Thread