Warped Interior Wall Paneling

Old 10-01-00, 09:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Recently I installed Panelboard, a form of wood veneer wall paneling, in one room of my house.
The outside walls of the house consist of several layers of white paint, then a layer of sand and cement, then cinder block, then sand and cement, plaster, and many coats of interior paint. (It is an older house and has been painted many times). I have never had any of the walls to leak or be damp.
I installed the paneling to furring strips nailed to the plaster walls. I made sure to follow the installation procedure exactly in accordance with the recommended installation specifed by the manufacturer. (Including panel-panel and panel-floor spacing.)
When I finished installation, the room looked great. Then, this summer we had a spell of high humidity mingled with more rain than usual. I noticed about a month ago that the paneling on one wall was starting to warp outward (and inward) between the horizontal furring strips. Over the next few weeks other walls started to warp, even interior walls! I have found no evidence of leaks anywhere, I can only conclude the paneling is swelling because of summer humidity!
Years ago I installed paneling in two other rooms in the house, and they have not warped at all since installed. (They were made of different materials, however.)
GP Panelboard appears to be an artificial type of board somewhat like particalboard.(It requires gluing as well as nailing.) For what its worth, I have no air conditioner at the place (I generally don't need one.). It was impossible to run heat in 90 degree weather, so I couldn't artificially hold down the humidity on muggy days.)

I have been waiting for the lower humidity of the fall in hopes that the paneling may shrink back into place. Is it likely that the problem will correct itself or will the paneling remain warped?

Is there any mechanical way of straigtening the paneling, perhaps by applying localized heat and trying to push it back into place?

I have even wondered if placing small holes at the bottom or top of each panel would help by allowing increased ventilation behind the panel. ( I deliberately included gaps in the furring so air could circulate, but the top and bottom of each panel are covered by molding reaching to the ceiling and floor.

I have installed wood paneling a number of times in the past, but have never observed anything remotely like this.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas anyone might have in helping me correct this problem.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-00, 05:28 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
Sounds like you realy tryed to do it right but the odds were not with you.... the paneling you used will take in water and keep it if there is not realy good ventalation and onece it warps it is there to stay any plywood paneling will give you a better job and will not warp as quick or as much as the partical board......keep an eye out for milldue
it is a very unhealthy thing to have in a home...