Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

How to replace sagging floor/ceiling joists

How to replace sagging floor/ceiling joists

Old 11-19-00, 06:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I own a 105 year old home foursquare. The joists to the first and second floors are sagging, causing multiple problems. Not only are they sagging, but they are anything but 16" on center. What is the easiest way to replace these joists. I have already tried to sister joists to some, but the sag is so bad that they need to be replaced.

Old 11-20-00, 05:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Old houses. Are'nt they great! You mentioned that you already sistered a couple of joist. The correct way is to cut the old joist in the center vertically about 3/4 of the way and then jack the new joist into place next to the old joist. This is not an easy task and requires a tremendous amount of work. The joist have settle due to fatigue and also mostlikely being undersized. Attempting to level out the joist is also sure to cause many problems with plaster walls, door jambs etc., all which have gradually settle slowly with the rest of the house. Unless your installing a tile floor where a structrual sound floor is a must, I would think long and hard of the task ahead. Good luck.

Old 11-20-00, 07:36 PM
Visiting Guest
I have done alot of these very same sags. I do not know what your layout is on your first floor in the lowest part of the sagging joists, nor do I know if your have a basement for not. If you will let me know, I can probably help you very easily. Another question. Is it just the second floor that is sagging, or are the floor joist on your first floor sagging also ?

Old 12-02-00, 06:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Sagging floor joists

Originally posted by
I have done alot of these very same sags. I do not know what your layout is on your first floor in the lowest part of the sagging joists, nor do I know if your have a basement for not. If you will let me know, I can probably help you very easily. Another question. Is it just the second floor that is sagging, or are the floor joist on your first floor sagging also ?
As mentioned this is a typical midwestern foursquare with a basement, approx sq footage 1500. The biggest problem with both the first & second floor joists is the fact that they cut the joists to add the chimney (not original, who knows when) The chimney has been removed and both the water heater and furnace are direct vents. The joists measure approx 14' and 18' to the bearing wall. The bearing wall has already been replaced. The sag is about 2". The plaster has all been removed on the main floor and I'm not concerned about doorjams on either floor.

Old 12-04-00, 04:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, lets start with your basement. Do you have room to install a cross beam with two posts ? You can e-mail me direct. onthept@valleytel.net

Old 12-05-00, 04:59 AM
Cool

Are the joist 2X8 or 2x12s? You can use some flat steel and lag bolts, once you jack the sag out. I hope they are 2X12s with the span you said, 14' and 17'
I have seen the same sagging joists reused, by flipping them over so the crown is on top again. But that was a total demo and reconstruction.

Old 12-07-00, 10:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Carpets Done Wright
Are the joist 2X8 or 2x12s? You can use some flat steel and lag bolts, once you jack the sag out. I hope they are 2X12s with the span you said, 14' and 17'
I have seen the same sagging joists reused, by flipping them over so the crown is on top again. But that was a total demo and reconstruction.
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately these are 2x8's both 1st and 2nd floor. I hadn't thought about using steel, where would I get steel in these sizes? By the way, this is almost a total demo and reconstruction, but I have to live here at the same time. If the steel straightened the sag, so the floors were level, wouldn't the joists still have a bow, causing the ceiling on the main level to be a little crooked?

Thanks, Janice

Old 12-08-00, 09:12 AM
Cool

The bow shouldn't come back. Jack the middle to make the floor crown up. Use ¼"X6" or ¼"X a full 8" flat steel, while you have it jacked, and either sandwich the joist between 2 pieces of steel for the ultimate hold, or just on one side. Use a lot of lag bolts or bolts and nuts. Remember though...Your going to be adding weight to the structure.

Old 12-15-00, 11:29 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
You have all the room in the world to work with it looks like. first just take the first floor and work on getting it flat from in the basement install 2 beams cross the joist from wall to wall 14'to 17'you can space them so they will bring up and help support the top floor but space them even spacing beteen them, add post as needed more is better than less using hangers now you can add support where the joist has been cut for the fireplace and supports you hold the floor at the right hight with new joist added there to the wall.You can add double joist under walls going to the top floor if they are running with the josit and have no support under them...if some of the joist will not come back to flat you can cut them over the beems and add blockes to keep them strait up and down...Hope all goes well..once the first floor is flat the second floor will fall into place with a lot less work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: