Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting Paneling

Visiting Guest

01-15-03, 03:12 PM   #1  
HPTech
Painting Paneling

Hello Everyone, I have paneling throughout my kitchen and I want a more modern look. I would like to paint it. what the steps for that? I also don't want it to look like paneling(no lines or grooves). Is there a quick easy way to acheive this look. Thanks

Sponsored Links

SC

01-15-03, 06:20 PM   #2  
Not wanting grooves or lines will make the journey hard.

You can try to fill the grooves with spackle, joint compound, or other products.

Actually, many say that painted paneling does not look bad. The wall must be clean, deglossing the surface with some 180 grit sand paper will help. Prime coat with kilz or zinsser to kill the color and bond the finish coat to the wall, finish.

Visiting Guest

01-16-03, 05:44 AM   #3  
HPTech
Originally posted by chfite
Not wanting grooves or lines will make the journey hard.

You can try to fill the grooves with spackle, joint compound, or other products.

Actually, many say that painted paneling does not look bad. The wall must be clean, deglossing the surface with some 180 grit sand paper will help. Prime coat with kilz or zinsser to kill the color and bond the finish coat to the wall, finish.
I figured it would be a task. I knew about the other steps not about the deglossing. Thanks. What type of paint would be good, Flat, Gloss, Semi Gloss?

SC

01-16-03, 05:54 PM   #4  
Flat would show the fewest defects, but seems inappropriate for wood. Semi-gloss or satin would be my choice. Gloss is not very forgiving of application errors, and the flaws would shine everywhere.

Search this Thread