Inside corner-baseboard

Old 01-26-03, 08:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Inside corner-baseboard

Hi
Usually when I install my base board for an inside corner I
1.Butt one piece into the corner
2.Butt the other piece up to this one and trace the outline.
3.Then I cut this out using a coping saw.

Question: Is there an easier or better way to cut for the inside corners?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-03, 10:38 AM
Inside corner baseboard

Inside corners may appear to be 90 (and were 90 when originally constructed), humidity changes and house settling tend to result in corners not remaining a true 90. If pieces were mitred at 45 each but the corner angle changed to greater or less than 90 degrees, the two pieces would not fit properly. By coping a mitre for an inside cut, this problem is eliminated. Coping is an alternative to mitering with the mitre saw for inside corners on baseboard.

Old 01-26-03, 04:41 PM
New construction or old (renovation) I consider your method the least time consuming and the best way to get a good looking fit.

Old 01-27-03, 12:33 PM
I agree the best way to get a good fit is to cope the joint. Another way to mark the piece I've found very useful is to cut the piece at a 45 with a mitre saw first just as if you were going to just use a miter joing. This exposes the "profile" of the cut you need to make rather than having to trace the pattern from another piece. Then darken the "profile" with a pencil to make it easier to see. Cope along this line, back cutting a little. The idea is to have the front (exposed) edge be the only one making contact with the other piece when you intall it. You won't get interference from behind the mating surfaces that way.

Good luck!