Nail Holes in stained moldings.

Old 01-29-03, 04:06 PM
airdale
Visiting Guest
Nail Holes in stained moldings.

I am putting up some lightly stained wood moldings. Using MinWax Golden Oak on Hemlock moldings. I have tried everything Minwax puts out to hide the nail holes and nothing works. Minwax put me on to an outfit in New Hampshire and I tried several of their putties, but nothing seems to be able to hide the nail holes. I don't have any problems in Dark stains or painted moldings. One carpenter I talked to suggested gluing the moldings with liquid Nail. I will do that, but only as a very last resort. I once had to take a fake wood wall down where the installer had used Liquid Nails. Wound up having to redo the whole wall. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-03, 05:27 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Mohawk makes filler sticks in just about every shade. You can also use the same putty used on hardwood floors. Buy more than one shade and blend them to match.

Old 01-30-03, 09:45 AM
airdale,

I've never needed to go this far on molding, however, a method I use to repair furniture/cabinets during and after construction is to acquire some fine sanding dust from the same type of wood I'm trying to repair. If you have a power sander, this shouldn't be difficult. Then, mix a little of the stain - go easy - with the sawdust. Then add some yellow carpenter's glue to a heavy paste consistency. You may want to experiment a little to get the right color.

Good luck,