Anchoring PT lumber to concrete floor

Old 02-03-03, 08:06 AM
sth17
Visiting Guest
Anchoring PT lumber to concrete floor

I am putting up walls and floors in my basement which has a concrete floor. I am using pressure treated 2x4 for the wall footings and PT 2x2 for the subflooring. I am looking to minimize the nailing to the concrete. Can I use Liquid nails while using just a couple of nails per 8 ft. length of subflooring? Will that be solid enough, since I am using 3/4 in. plywood over the 2X2, and then hardwood flooring (as well as some durorock) over the plywood.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-03, 03:39 PM
Sounds about right to me. All you need the nails for is to keep the plates in one place while the adhesive sets.

Old 02-17-03, 08:32 PM
IHI
Personally I've never had much luck with the powder actuated nail guns for concrete or steel. As soon as the Tapcons came on the market I jumped all over them and am very impressed to date. They make different sizes for different needs-more work yes, but with the liquid nails or other construction adhesive + Tapcons, you'll never have the chance of the boards coming loose. I've come in and redone a few basements that originally used the nails and adhesive-granted these were wall studs and not treated either, but once the screw is driven in, the teeth will hold better than the smooth shank of a nail if for some reason the adhesive decides to let go. Kinda of a "building a brick sh..house" seal, your covered by 2 different attachment methods.

Old 02-24-03, 11:13 AM
brooster1427
Visiting Guest
You can avoid the cost of buying tapcons by using a 3" common nail 18guage hanging wire (2short pieces) and predrilling a hole through your sleepers and concrete. They hold great but are tough to remove as opposed to tapcons. Your choice Good luck.

Old 02-24-03, 04:36 PM
IHI
Then there's always the old method that many homeowners go for on the dividing walls, cutting 1/2" rebar and hammering it down into the slab-they definately keep the wall from shifting!

Search this Thread