Vinyl siding rattles

Old 02-09-03, 04:58 AM
Vinyl siding rattles

The vinyl siding on my 4 year old home rattles tremendously when the wind blows hard. Worst side is just opposite the guest bedroom. Any tips on what can be done to keep it from rattling?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-03, 07:16 PM
Woodsong
Visiting Guest
Interesting! Vinyl siding is not nailed tight to the house to allow for contraction/expansion of the vinyl. Thus, you should be able to "slide" each piece to the left or right without a lot of force. Think of it as vinyl siding is "hung" not "installed." Still, you should not be having it rattle in the wind. This causes me to suspect that maybe some of the sections have come unnailed to the house. Go to a local supplier of vinyl siding and tell them you need one of the "zip" tools for seperating interlocking pieces of vinyl. If they have this tool they can also show you how to use it as it is very easy. I would use that tool to seperate the sections that are rattling and make sure they are still nailed to the house properly. They could be no longer attached to the house and just hanging there since they are interlocked with pieces above and below them. If that does not remedy the situation I would have a siding installer come inspect the job. Vinyl should be installed with roofing nails nailed directly into framing/OSB sheathing and not nailed tight. Sometimes production installers will use a siding staple gun instead of hand installed roofing nails. Good luck.