Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Aluminum siding resurfacing

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 03:43 PM   #1  
bambino24
Aluminum siding resurfacing

I just looked at a house today with aluminum siding. Looks good from a distance but upon closer inspection the siding in areas looks as if it is reverse pitting...if that makes sense! I'm not sure if it is just caked on dirt or if it is rusting that is coming up to the surface. Basically, if you've ever been walking in the woods and come across a rusting 55 gal barrel...that's what it reminds me of. It is definitely not noticeable rusting if that's what it is at all.

My question is, can this be power cleaned, sanded down, repainted? Or should it be torn down and thrown away? Or is it a combination of some of these tasks?

Sorry if the post is confusing! Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Sponsored Links

VA

02-09-03, 04:05 PM   #2  
If you're planning to contract this job out, the cheaper alternative would be to tear it down and redo. If you plan to do it yourself, you'll have to invest a little time and effort to find out if the 'fix-it' alternative is feasible. That will depend, of course, on what shape the siding really is in once it's cleaned and sanded.

If it's still usable, yes, it can be painted. Most of the 'box' stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) etc., as well as many other paint suppliers manufacture a paint system (primer + finish coat) that is designed specifically for aluminum siding.

Search this Thread