interior wall trim

Old 02-13-03, 05:51 PM
bearsfan64
Visiting Guest
interior wall trim

I recently repaired/refinished my hardwood floor. The doorway trim that I removed and a few pieces of the baseboard that I had to remove have some 4d nails or bigger in them. The nails have a small head on them but larger than a finish nail. I have pulled 2 through the wood and have split the wood both times. I tried to hammer the nail back out but that causes the wood to splinter on the finish side. Any thoughts on how I can get the nails out without ruining anymore trim?

Old 02-13-03, 06:15 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chuck them in a variable speed drill and run it slowly and push them back out. This should loosen them enough to pull easily.

Old 02-13-03, 07:32 PM
bearsfan64
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I'll try it afterwork tomorrow.

Old 02-14-03, 02:44 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The easiest way to get those nails out is to pull them all the way throught the molding from the backside. Get a pair of pliers on them and just work with a levering action to get the all of the way through

Old 02-22-03, 06:12 PM
Rancor
Visiting Guest
If the nail has been set (below level of wood), then I'd just bend the nail back and forth until it breaks. This is what I do with finished wood. If you use visegrips, grab as low as you can and it will break flush. If there is a tiny peice sticking out it's ok if you wall is sheetrock. It will just bury in the sheetrock.

With finish nails and brads I have a set of bullnose nippers I use. They cut it within 1/16 in. flush with back of wood.

I would never try to pull it out either way. If you damage a peice of trim it my be imposible to match the stain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: