Tongue 'n Groove

Old 03-27-03, 08:38 AM
nifty
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Tongue 'n Groove

I intend placing some tongue and groove panelling on my staircase to replace some ugly tiles. The stairs already have sloping skirting board. This is my first attempt at anything of this kind. I'd be grateful for any hints on dos and donts and potential pitfalls from experienced t.& groovers. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-03, 08:37 AM
Hello,
Not that this helps with the installation, but my father in law built something with tongue and groove a few weeks ago. He was pretty irritated at the "groove" irregularities in the lumber. He had to cut some of them to make the tongues and grooves fit. When you buy your lumber, make sure the tongues and grooves are properly cut.

Old 04-03-03, 12:58 AM
nifty
Visiting Guest
Many thanks. Unfortunately, the tongue 'n groove I intend buying comes prepacked in plastic wihch will make it difficult to check. Di d you father in law use adhesive only or did he have to use screws, too?

Old 04-03-03, 08:15 AM
Ordinarily, tongue and groove is angle nailed through the tongue.

Old 04-03-03, 11:49 PM
nifty
Visiting Guest
Thanks. You don't use adhesive??

Old 04-04-03, 05:04 PM
Adhesive would be an option. I guess my point was that nails are generally used, not screws. The adhesive would eliminate any problems that might develop from inconsistent nailing, since the nails would hold it "until the glue dries."

Old 04-06-03, 04:01 AM
nifty
Visiting Guest
OK. Many thanks.