Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tongue 'n Groove

Visiting Guest

03-27-03, 08:38 AM   #1  
nifty
Tongue 'n Groove

I intend placing some tongue and groove panelling on my staircase to replace some ugly tiles. The stairs already have sloping skirting board. This is my first attempt at anything of this kind. I'd be grateful for any hints on dos and donts and potential pitfalls from experienced t.& groovers. Thanks

Sponsored Links

04-01-03, 08:37 AM   #2  
Hello,
Not that this helps with the installation, but my father in law built something with tongue and groove a few weeks ago. He was pretty irritated at the "groove" irregularities in the lumber. He had to cut some of them to make the tongues and grooves fit. When you buy your lumber, make sure the tongues and grooves are properly cut.

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 12:58 AM   #3  
nifty
Many thanks. Unfortunately, the tongue 'n groove I intend buying comes prepacked in plastic wihch will make it difficult to check. Di d you father in law use adhesive only or did he have to use screws, too?

SC

04-03-03, 08:15 AM   #4  
Ordinarily, tongue and groove is angle nailed through the tongue.

Visiting Guest

04-03-03, 11:49 PM   #5  
nifty
Thanks. You don't use adhesive??

SC

04-04-03, 05:04 PM   #6  
Adhesive would be an option. I guess my point was that nails are generally used, not screws. The adhesive would eliminate any problems that might develop from inconsistent nailing, since the nails would hold it "until the glue dries."

Visiting Guest

04-06-03, 04:01 AM   #7  
nifty
OK. Many thanks.

Search this Thread