A couple wainscoting questions?

Old 03-31-03, 01:57 PM
baxter77
Visiting Guest
A couple wainscoting questions?

We are hiring a contractor to replace the windows in our 24 yr old Vicroy cottage this spring and I wanted to take the opportunity to add some more wood finish to the interior by putting some pine tongue and groove wainscoting (48 inches high) on the adjacent walls in a couple rooms.

Currently all the interior walls are just drywall painted white, with standard base and window trim. We have two rooms that have windows running the entire length of one wall that sit on a 16 inch 2x4 stud wall. These will be replaced with sandle wood tinted fibreglass frame windows, the 16 inch stud wall rebuilt, insulated and covered with pine wainscoting.

1) The existing interior window trim is in excellent shape (turning an amber shade as it has aged). Should I try to re-use the window trim and try to stain the window jams and wainscoting to match, or just have new window trim intalled with the windows?

2) The wainscoting we plan to use is unfinished pine tongue and groove. Is it easier to stain and varnish the pieces prior to putting it up, or I am I better off staining and varnishing after it is assembled on the wall?

3) Finally, the window guy told me that I should scribe a line in the existing dry wall and rip it out so that I can apply 1x3 strapping to the stud wall to secure the wainscoting. I was planning just to apply the wainscoting right on to the drywall, capping it off with a chair rail.

Ripping out the dry wall will fix the problems of the recepticles not being flush with the pine wainscoting, but it will create a big mess that I wasn't planning on dealing with. ANY ADVICE?

Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-03, 06:41 PM
1. Sure, if you like what you have, re-use it. Oftimes, it is hard to remove trim undamaged.

2. It will be easier to match, if you can have the new wood next to what you are trying to match so you can see to match the colors. Or you could make a sample of the new wood stained and finished to match the old and stain and finish the new wood elsewhere and install it. You may have to touch up some scratches in the finish if you install if finished. Or take one of the old pieces while it is down and use it as a guide to stain and finish the new wood. (My favorite.)

3. I would install the wainscot over the drywall and use box extenders to make the outlet boxes flush. It will be simpler to install and a lot less messy.

Hope this helps.