Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Knotty Paneling

Visiting Guest

04-14-03, 12:05 PM   #1  
fiatlux5762
Knotty Paneling

Our rec room had an old 1970's vintage dark brown knotty wood paneling that looked like it belonged in a hunting cabin. Finally, we got the courage to apply Kilz premium primer as a first step towards painting it a light color. Two coats of primer have been applied but now in the daylight the paneling looks like the surface of the moon! I'm wondering if it will be possible to apply some type of wood putty into the 10,000 holes <well maybe not that many> or if it will be necessary to pull down the paneling and install drywall?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

SC

04-14-03, 05:05 PM   #2  
There is a product for filling the grain in wood. It work the same as body filler. Smear it on, sand off the exdess. I don't know if it will go over primer, but probably would. That may be worth considering.

MO

04-15-03, 10:54 AM   #3  
Or you could put up drywall over the paneling. Definitely alot more work & mess, but I think you'll be much happier with end results. Over a solid backing like your paneling, you could use 3/8" or even 1/4" drywall.

Search this Thread